cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicate data form msdp to tape drives in another domain

kybeer
Level 5

Hello,

I'm digging through the Admin guide PDFs and trying to find out if this is possible:

In the primary Netbackup domian we have multiple MSDP pools (for writing daily backups). In another domiain (in a DR site ) we have a Master server with tape drives (no MSDP pool there). Is it possible to replicate the data from the primary domain/MSDPs to the DR domain/tape with SLP?

br

johan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Replication to a remote master is called AIR and is configured via SLP. 

There is nothing else that enables replication/duplication to remote master.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mprazeres
Level 3

Hi,
We do a similar thing here on our infrastructure. However it's not something I would recommend.
Large restores and non-optimized deuplication jobs (tape) from a media server deduplication pool (MSDP) perform at a slower rate than from other non-deduplicated storage units. In some instances these jobs may perform unacceptely slow and can cause:

Increased tape drive wear for duplications written to tape
Large SLP backlogs
Large numbers of queued jobs in the Activity Monitor
Lissed SLAs

I would suggest a new architecture, if on the local (master site) you have a DD, SAN Array or a big enough storage array. why not using A.I.R and replicate all to the master site? I don't know about your latency between the sites, but this could be a solution to get rid of the tapes. At the same time, if you use a disk array in the DR site (it can be something small) 2 TB (depeding on whatever you are backing up) you still have a local backup of the catalog and images, the only thing you do with A.I.R is to have it also in your master site.

I'm aware of all the drabacks in the setup, but it's the hardware/infrastructure I have right now ;). MSDP replication with AIR is of course the best option but I don't have the nessecary HW at the DR site, just tapes :)

Latency, speeds and data sizes aside, I can't figure out how to configure the replication from MSDP to tapes. I have established the Trust between the Master Server but cannot select or see the remote server in the primary site SLPs.

SLPs with same name exists in both Domains.

image.png

Of first of all, did you add the tapes and are they shown on Storage Units?
Second did you create an Import SLP on the secondary Master server?

It should look somehow like this:

First Master Server: Storage Units

1.png

SLPs: Master Server

2.png

Secondary Master Server: Storage Units

3.png

Secondary SLP:

4.png

Yes, the tapes are fully usable in the secondary Domain.

However, I don't have any Storage Units to choose for the import SLP. (I don't have MSDP/Advanced disk in the seconday domain, only tapes and a very small Basic Disk)

Seconday domain STUs:

image.png

Secondary domain SLP:

image.png

That guide is for manual import to a new Domain, am I correct? Not automated as SLP would be. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Marianne
AIR is only supported between likewise storage units. So, MSDP can only be replicated to remote MSDP.

Yes, exactly. I wonder if there's any way of using SLP with replication, "without AIR"? But perhaps source and target STUs must always be of the same type, as soon as replication is considered.

Marianne

Replication to a remote master is called AIR and is configured via SLP. 

There is nothing else that enables replication/duplication to remote master.

Thanks, this is exactly the answer I was looking for!