cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report of tapes used by a policy for a backup?

MikeMuha
Level 3
We're running NetBackup 6.5.1 on Windows. When I need to find the list of tapes to take off site, I typically:

1.Go to Activity Monitor,
2. Select the backup job for the policy/schedule I want
3. Select the "Detailed Status" tab
4. Scroll through the "Status: window to see which tapes were used.

With increasing frequency, the job I need to look at is no longer displayed in the Activity Monitor - it's scrolled off the list because of all the other jobs we run. Now it takes a convoluted process to figure out what tapes an earlier job used.

Example: I know I successfully ran a weekly backup of a set of servers by looking at Reports > Client Backups. The job I'm interested in ran on 6/16/2008 with an elapsed time of 18+ hours. But it doesn't tell me what tapes were used.

I next go to Reports > Images on Media, select the correct Client and "Run Report". I then sort by policy, schedule, and expiration date. Because I know the policy sets a 2 month expiration date on the tapes, I look for tapes with an expiration of 8/16 or 8/17 (depending on how long the backup ran). I can now get a list of tapes.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks
Mike
4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Tape Reports

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
(sorry hit the wrong key)

Tape Reports
      Tape Written

put in your time frame and it shows you what tapes were written to.

this is the list I use to pull tapes ( because I don't use vault)

MikeMuha
Level 3
There's no column showing tape name in Reports > Tape Reports > Tape Written!!!  I even right clicked, choose "Columns > Layout" to verify all the columns were showing.

You guys running on unix must have better reports...

MikeMuha
Level 3
My mistake - the Media ID column heading was squeezed tight.... I found the list of tapes.

Not a bad report - but it also shows tapes that I do NOT want to take off-site. Fortunately, they have a different meida ID prefix.

Still would be nice to have a link between job/policy/schedule and tapes used...

Mike