cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Question

1PSS
Level 3
Hi All,

I have a question I can't seem to get around my mind..... using NB5.1.

Say I run a Full on Sunday the 1st, and a cumulative incremental each on Mon. 2nd and Tues.  3rd.
No changes were made on Monday, and some were made on Tuesday. 

If I run a bprestore and select the dates first through the third, why does it seem as though NB wants the tapes from the 2nd also, even though there are only empty folders on them?

Does NB go through the motions of restoring the 2nd, and then lays down the 3rd afterwards? 

4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6

1PSS wrote:
Hi All,

I have a question I can't seem to get around my mind..... using NB5.1.

Say I run a Full on Sunday the 1st, and a cumulative incremental each on Mon. 2nd and Tues.  3rd.
No changes were made on Monday, and some were made on Tuesday. 

If I run a bprestore and select the dates first through the third, why does it seem as though NB wants the tapes from the 2nd also, even though there are only empty folders on them?

Does NB go through the motions of restoring the 2nd, and then lays down the 3rd afterwards? 

No changes were made on Monday  - this is a false statement.

Changes are made every click of the clock somewhere and Netbackup needs the information from the image that was created to create the possible restore "listings" even though it will not need the physical tapes for doing an actual restore.

1PSS
Level 3
ahhh OK thanks! I appreciate the help.

So i was taught to run the 2 seperately, as in one restore from the 1st, and then a second seperate restore from the 3rd....... What happens in this case, I could potentially be missing some data.... Smiley Indifferent

Stumpr2
Level 6
I always use the default restore setup from Netbackup which if you notice is the selection of the last full backup and ALL incrementals which could be both differential and cumulative. Netbackup will always restore the latest file from the group of images. No oerator interaction is required. Only one restore is required.

1PSS
Level 3
Thank you Stumpr.  Don't know why it took me so long to wonder why the heck I was doing it like that for Smiley Very Happy