cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a old backup

MariusD
Level 6

Hi,

I need to restore some date from a old backup.

It was a windows client with 12TB Disk. The backup is on 17 Tapes LTO4.  

I need to restore just a folder from old backup.

I have import all 17 Tapes from NBU Console:  NetBackup Management -> Catalog -> Action -> Initiate Import 

What i do in the next step? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Initiate Import is phase 1 of the Import. You now need to perform phase 2 (provided you have done the phase 1 for all the tapes).

Carry on with step 3 of this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

No need to do phase 2 import for all the data if you can find the backup image for the particular client for specific period.

Once you have done phase 2 import, you can open Backup Archive and Restore GUI and browse for the client's folder that you need to restore. Restore will work the same as any other restore.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Initiate Import is phase 1 of the Import. You now need to perform phase 2 (provided you have done the phase 1 for all the tapes).

Carry on with step 3 of this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

No need to do phase 2 import for all the data if you can find the backup image for the particular client for specific period.

Once you have done phase 2 import, you can open Backup Archive and Restore GUI and browse for the client's folder that you need to restore. Restore will work the same as any other restore.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You completed "Initiate Import", that is phase 1 of import operation. You have to perrform phase 2.

Select "Import" from Action list and serach backups. Candidate backups will be listed below. Select backups in list, right click -> import.

After phase 2 completed, you can restore from those backups. 

MariusD
Level 6

here is a import log from a tape.

"Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1"

Is this ok?

The client and policy no more exist. 

"

Import phase 1 started 22.11.2011 12:11:32
12:11:32 INF - Create DB information for media id U428L4.
12:11:32 INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id U428L4 was successful.
12:11:33 INF - Waiting for mount of media id U428L4 on server ddcw1-m7002.danubedc.net for reading.

12:12:32 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:12:32 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 11 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:13:19 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:13:19 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 12 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:13:48 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:13:48 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 13 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:14:19 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:14:19 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 14 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:14:55 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:14:55 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 15 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:15:04 INF - Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on 06/04/2009 13:24:43.
12:15:04 WRN - Cannot import client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, copy 1 fragment 16 already exists. Skipping this image.

12:15:36 INF - Creation of database information for import of media id U428L4 complete.
"

Marianne
Level 6

It seems the images have not yet expired for client kowi2?

" Found existing image information for client kowi2, policy KOWARSCH, and schedule FULL-backup, done on....."

Then there is no need to to import.

NBU does not care if the client exists in a policy or not - it keeps the data until it naturally expires.

What happens if you run Client Backup report from the GUI for this client for the period you are looking for?

If you can see backup info in Client Backup report, use BAR GUI to specify kowi2 as Source Client (you will probably have to type in the name) and specify/select another client as Destination.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For future reference ....

Persoanally I think this Technote is a little clearly, for importing tapes.  

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

MariusD
Level 6

I have found how is't working. :) i was wrong with the Backup Type ...i have tryed just windows, but actually was a standard (linux) backup type :).  

Thank you for your help.

Have a nice day.