cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore through one NBU Server at DR location

s11
Level 4

We have two Netbackup separate environments in Production - one NBU 5.1 and another NBU 6.0. Both use different tape libraries and drives. We would like to implement at DR location a single NBU Server hardware which can restore backups from either of these two NBU production environments. At the DR site we have one NBU 6.0 server and two separate tape libraries to read media from both production NBU backups.

My question is: can we have one NBU 6.0 server with two different tape libraries so that both NBU 5.1 and NBU 6.0 backed-up media can be restored at DR location through a single server? If this is possible we would avoid the second NBU 5.1 server at DR.

I will be thankful for your comment on this setup and how (briefly) it can done.

Regards,

BNetra

3 REPLIES 3

Ver-Cap
Level 3

Yes, Its possible to have two libraries with on NBU server.

Only concern would be to ensure the policies are balanced in utilizing both libraries. Once there is a single master server the backups of all clients will reside under one server and restore should not be any issue.

Note but you need to recreate all polices in the DR NBU 6.0 master server that are already created on NBU 5.1 master server in production, one more alternative si u can install NBU 5.1 in DR and restore the catalog of production NBU 5.1 and upgrade the netbackup to 6.0.

Best Regards,

Kitty

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I don't think it is possible to avoid the requirement of a second master to run your v5.1 environment.

Whilst you v6.0 env would be able to attach to both libraries and scanm all the media, your v6.0 environment will have no catalog details of the media that were previously written in the v5.1 env - i.e. you your v6.0 env won't be able to perform any restores from the v5.1 media - and if you are not very careful, your v6.0 env could start over-writing the media previously used by the v5.1 env because the v6.0 env could believe all the v5.1 media to be scratch.

Ver-Cap
Level 3

Yes its right, if NBU 6.0 is directly installed in DR site then catalog of 5.1 from production cannot be restored.

Either way since there are two master server's with two different versions in production it not possible to merge both the catalog info and update in a single master server with NBU 6.0.

But as per my earlier comments in the note had suggested an alternate way "one more alternative is u can install NBU 5.1 in DR and restore the catalog of production NBU 5.1 and upgrade the netbackup to 6.0" and recreate the policy of NBU 6.0 in the DR environment that matches the production environment.

Best Regards,

Kitty