cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring 2003 Server with Registry

jnimick
Level 2
I have a server which I am currently trying to recover from tape, I have a full backup with System State and Shadow Copy Components. I have done a full restore to my new systems which is defined under my user defined section ..The server appears to fully restore with no problem but when I login to the new system none of the registry components are there, the machine still has the same name, same IP address and none services are coming over. Is there an option i am missing during the restore ...I am not sure what i am missing here ..

Thanks
John
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Couple of technotes for you

• HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows XP, 2000 or...

• During a System_State restore, not all of the registry keys are recovered, causing the system to g...

By default, a System_State restore will not restore all the registry keys from the system that was backed up. There are specific keys that specify registry keys that are not to be recovered. This is done to ensure that after the reboot is complete after the restore, the system will reboot. The assumption is the hardware the restored data is going to is different than the hardware the backup job was done on. The following registry key determines this:

HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupAndRestore\KeysNotToRestore.

For more information on this, see TechNote 240980 in the Related Documents section below.

In order to change this default behavior, it will be necessary to run the w2koption. This is an executable that is included with NetBackup. This set of instructions assumes that the restore is going to a PC with exactly the same hardware as the PC that contains the backup information.

jnimick
Level 2

So if I want to perform the restore to another machine, including the system state ... as the orignal machine and hardware is no longer available ...  From the Redirect windows I enter the following

computername\System?State 

This still did not work .... can a restore be down when using a redirect ...including the registry ..

I apologize .... but the version I am using is BackExec 10d

Thanks

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
This is usually a NetBackup forum.
Can I be so bold as to suggest that you might get a better response if you were to re-post your query in the BackupExec forum?
Good luck.

yvonne_ewry
Level 4

I am having the same problem.  I am using NetBackup 6.5.3.  I had a DC that crashed today.  The DC is a Windows Server 2003 x64 bit.  I followed the exact directions below given in the HOWTO and also the "During a System_State restore..." document.  I mean, I followed those directions perfectly.  I ran the w2koption before I started the System State restore, restored System State (which restored successfully) and then ran the w2koption again after the System State restore.  I then rebooted the machine as directed by the documents, and now the server is still stuck in a reboot loop.  I cannot access the desktop via Safe Mode or Last Known Good Config...following both sets of directions led me to no where and now I am back to sqaure 1 where I am looking at having to install the OS again.  Any other ideas to follow than just these two documents below?  By the way, I restored the C:\ and System State (Shadow Copy Components) to the ORIGINAL hardware, so following the w2koption was a must to run.  Please HELP!  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Yvonne

• HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows XP, 2000...

• During a System_State restore, not all of the registry keys are recovered, causing the system to g...

By default, a System_State restore will not restore all the registry keys from the system that was backed up. There are specific keys that specify registry keys that are not to be recovered. This is done to ensure that after the reboot is complete after the restore, the system will reboot. The assumption is the hardware the restored data is going to is different than the hardware the backup job was done on. The following registry key determines this:

HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupAndRestore\KeysNotToRestore.

For more information on this, see TechNote 240980 in the Related Documents section below.

In order to change this default behavior, it will be necessary to run the w2koption. This is an executable that is included with NetBackup. This set of instructions assumes that the restore is going to a PC with exactly the same hardware as the PC that contains the backup information.