cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Disk image in Netback up 5.x

Vinh_Nguyen
Not applicable

So I have a problem I have been doing disk to disk backups using Netback up 5.x. We just upgraded to Netback up 6.5. So I uninstalled the netback up 5.x and installed the 6.5. This was before I realized that netback up images from 5.x cannot be imported into 6.5. So I tried installing 5.x back and add the images so that I can restore them and re back them up in 6.5.

Is there any possible way to add the images back in my 5.x server so that it recognizes it? I noticed that import disk images is not possible in 5.x. Is it possible to put the images on a tape drive and then importing it?

thanks, any advice would be much appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Hi Vinh,

Let me see if I get what you say, you ungrade your master to 6.5 from 5.x without following the recommend process that symantec has documented? and after this you tried to rolled back in order to fix it but was to late, correct? at this point I will say that you have the option to restore your old 5.1 catalog and start from scratch the upgrade it will be the healthy way if is not posible you can start importing medias to your new 6.5 DB.

hope this helps.

regards

Vinh_N
Level 3

thanks for replying

Yes, I would like to add my old back ups, but the problem is I only had my back ups going disk to disk. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to add the back up catalogs back in to Netback up 5.x. From What I understand, I can only add backups from removable media, I can't seem to get it to point to the location of my back ups.

So my next question is there anyway around this, If i load my back ups from the disk drives onto a tape drive, will it work then?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Import media not necesarily haves to be tapes, what realy is, is an import of the images, here is the process of how you can do it

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279174.htm

hope this helps.

regards

Vinh_N
Level 3

I thought it was not possible to import Netback up 5.x images into 6.x?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

the big change on 6.x is the EMM DB who controls everything related with medias, the images are the same and havent change much, thats why you can restore from tapes that where writen on 5.x, what netbackup looks at is that the media is under the EMM DB, but because this was stored originaly on disk Im sure you will be able to read them, if not let us know, but it worth it to give it a try.

regards

Vinh_N
Level 3

ok, when I try importing the images in 6.5, by starting with "initiate import" and I select the path where the 5.x images are stored. When it does a search for available images, it says no images are available for import. I have tried clicking on the image itself and it gives me an error and says it failed to open the image. I'm not sure If i'm doing this correctly but I am following the directions to import a disk image.

I am worried because I see that in the directions, netback up 6.x says it can only import disk images from 6.0 or later.

Are my old netbackup 5.x disk images dead in the water?

Vinh_N
Level 3
ok so I solved my problem first by trying to get my backups back into 5.x. First this was a problem because you cannot import disk images in 5.x but you can use bprecover to recover the catalogs by pointing the command to the location of the catalog backups. This enable 5.x to see my backups again so I could use them. I will then try to follow the steps in the symantec document to upgrade to 6.5. Thanks