cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring VM to alternate location with the same UUID

Abdullah_Almahm
Level 3

Hi, 

we are running netbackup 7.1.0.4 on oracle linux, I'm trying to restore a virtual machine (VMware 5.0) to alternate location (since a lot of changes has been done on the virtual environment since the backup date and it is not possible to restore to original location) with same UUID.

is there a way to perform this? 

Thanks & Regards,

Abdullah 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Dialogue box for "Restore to altenate location" does not has option to "Restore UUID".

I believe that restored VM at alt location will have same UUID as NBU gives an option to overwrite existing VM, i could be wrong as i haven't tried checking the UUID post restore.

If you know the UUID of original VM; this can be confirmed by verifying the VMware configurtion file .vmx of the restored VM (VM has to be turned off).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

No VMs can have same UUID in a same vCenter domain.

If the destination location is in same vCenter domain; the orginal VM UUID will conflict with the one you are trying to restore; hence, you would not be able to recover the VM with same UUID.

Condsidering not to overwrite your original VM, You may have to choose a difference vCenter or restore with different UUID.

Abdullah_Almahm
Level 3

Hi rizwan84x,

the original VM is already deleted, but we are not able to restore to original location because we have changed some settings in our VMware env such as: 

- Datacenter name

- Resource Pool

- and Foler name.

so is there a way to recover this machine with same UUID? 

Thank you.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Dialogue box for "Restore to altenate location" does not has option to "Restore UUID".

I believe that restored VM at alt location will have same UUID as NBU gives an option to overwrite existing VM, i could be wrong as i haven't tried checking the UUID post restore.

If you know the UUID of original VM; this can be confirmed by verifying the VMware configurtion file .vmx of the restored VM (VM has to be turned off).