cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring individual files/folders from a VM backup

Akh2323
Level 3

I am backing up a Linux host through Vmware policy on NBU 8.0. I faced a scenario today where server required particular missing folder from earlier backup. I have a full backup last Thursday and subsequent differential backups till date. 

How can i restore the folder to latest state from existing backups?.I assume i will  need to restore full backup of the folder using restore  type as "Normal backup  "and apply individual differential backups over it . Is there any other way to do it ?

5 REPLIES 5

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

In simple words, no. You can restore a Full VM or Individuals files.

Did you have enabled on this VM policy the option Enable file recovery from VM backup, right?

You must have Netbackup client installed on the destination client, I'm assuming that you already have.

If yes the restore process is as usual, since requirements are met.

Regards,

Thiago

Hi ,

I want to understand if my procedure of overwriting  incremental backups one -by one over full backup is the correct approach so that i can have latest files available.

I am restoring the folder on same machine but different location.

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Look if you have the last full backup and Incrementals you can perform a complete restore. Below there is a short explanation about it, hope it can help you.

Schedules.JPG

Regards,

Thiago

Genericus
   VIP   

What kind of file systems? RHEL 7 with XFS? sorry.

LINUX RHEL 7 VM using XFS file systems DO NOT support individual file restores. You have to restore the entire VM, or install a local client.

My linux admins are requesting updates on when this will be available - not in planning yet. Maybe next year?

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

For this specific question:

>I want to understand if my procedure of overwriting incremental backups one -by one over full backup is the correct approach so that i can have latest files available.

Select the full backup and all the subsequent incrementals for one restore request, and let NetBackup figure it out. The request daemon (bprd) gets all the relevant backup images from the catalog database (bpdbm) for the files and images that you have selected for restore. Then bprd sorts the results and kicks off one or more restores using the most recent possible image for each file.