cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing Backup Exec tapes for Netbackup5.0

Jayson_kramer
Level 4
Hi all!. I have been searching for many hours on this problem. I am new to Netbackup 5.0. I have hundreds of tapes that were previously used for Backup Exec. I need to reusue these for our new backup solution Netbackup 5.0. I have searched and searched and tried many different things without any luck. Can anyone help me?

Desperately seeking help,

Jayson
7 REPLIES 7

zippy
Level 6
Jayson,

Do you want to save the imiges on that are on the tapes?

OR

Do you want to just reuse them?

I know there is a import meathod for Backup Exec to Netbackup.

JD

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Have you tried anything yet? Have you gotten the tapes to import? Do you want to get the information off of them or are you just trying to make them readable by NBU? Give us some more information and someone here will fix you up with the information you need! :)

Lance

Stumpr2
Level 6
If you try to write to a tape that has a BackupExec image on it this will happen.
1) netbackup mounts the tape
2) NetBackup recognizes that the tape has a backup Exec image on it.
3) NetBackup checks to see if it is OK to overwrite this type of tape
3a) If overwrite is enabled, Netbackup will use the tape
3b) if overwrite is not enabled then Netbackup will FREEZE the tape.
3c) frozen tapes will never be reused for writing until unfrozen

Here is what you need to do.
1) enable media overwrite on the properties page of the media server
2) unfreeze any tapes that were frozen

Stumpr2
Level 6
If you want to re-use tapes that have been written to by BackupExec on a Netbackup system, then simply enable "media overwrite" on the media server's properties page. However, if you have already attempted to write to a backupexec tape without allowing media overwrite then you will also have to unfreeze all the tapes that you tried to use.

Jayson_kramer
Level 4
Thank you all, I found the answer shortly after posting this Question. Here is the answer I used.

bplabel �m -d dlt �o �p

The problem was that the Volume Pool Name is case sensitive. NetBackup * the second capital got me :?)

Jayson_kramer
Level 4
Thanks

Jayson_kramer
Level 4
Not sure why my answer showed up the way it did, but replace the question marks with a dash.