Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Backup

iaw
Level 5

Hi,

I use nbu 7.x and have 3 ENT licenses.
I plan to backup oracle DB and vmware off-host via SAN backup.
Questions:
1. Any additional licenses require for this?
2. Are SAN media server licenses and off-host backup will be included in ENT License?
3. Is it mandatori to install the clients as media server for san backup?

Regards,
IAW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I believe all is explained in the documentation that I have referred to in previous posts.

Please take your time and go through the TNs and documentation in 'Related Articles'.
The manuals have diagrams/pictures that explain connectivity.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6

You did not say which ENT licenses - NBU Ent Server or NBU Ent Client?

Vmware backup needs Ent Client for each ESX server - license is tiered.

Oracle backups need Application and Database pack license per database server - also tiered.

Not mandatory to install media server software for SAN backups - Linux media server can be configured as FT Media server and clients as SAN clients. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135896

Please discuss your licensing needs with your local Symantec reseller.

iaw
Level 5
I have ENT server, STD client and client app&DB pack If I use off-host backup for vmware, do I still need Ent Client for each ESX server? Any additional license to configure FT Media server and clients as SAN clients? Thanks, IAW

Marianne
Level 6

Yes, as per my previous post, you need Ent Client license per ESX server.
Existing Media servers can be configured as VM backup host for off-host backup.
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 for backup host supported OS.

No additional license for FT media server and SAN client - one of your existing Linux Media servers can be configured as FT media server. See Related Articles in TN mentioned in my previous post.

Please contact your local Symantec reseller to discuss your licensing requirements.

iaw
Level 5

I read some post in forum, never found that it needs Ent Client License per ESX and no NBU agent installation either. It just install STD client agent in off-host backup and add ESX host credential.

Do we need to install netbackup agent for each ESX servers too? in what stage it needs Ent Client License?

Please help me to confirm what's the correct installation step and license requires?

Thanks,

IAW

Marianne
Level 6

Please let Symantec documentation guide you - NOT this forum (although a source of information).

No agent is installed on ESX server. The licenses are added on the backup host (media server) and the master server to allow creation of VMware policy.
If you install only NBU client software on backup host (minimum requirement), your backups will be LAN based.
If you want SAN based backups, zone datastores to a media server (or more than one media server) and use media server as backup host.

PLEASE read through NBU for VMware Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5605

p. 23:

NetBackup for VMware license requirement
NetBackup for VMware requires an Enterprise Client license for each ESX Server.
To protect an application or database, note: an additional license for the
appropriate NetBackup package is needed for each ESX server that hosts the
application or database.

AND PLEASE contact your Symantec reseller to discuss your licensing needs.

iaw
Level 5
If I have below network connectivity, 1. Tape library - Media server = SAN Oracle client - LUN Storage = SAN Media server - Oracle Client = LAN How to get Oracle backup on SAN? (if oracle client not mandatory install as media server) 2. Tape Library - media server = SAN VM Backup Host - media server = LAN VM Backup Host - DataStore = SAN How to get VM Backup on SAN? should I install VM backup host as media server? If I have VCenter Server, can I call it as VM backup host? Thanks, IAW

Marianne
Level 6

How to get Oracle backup on SAN? (if oracle client not mandatory install as media server)

Config as SAN Media server (Another Enterprise Client license will be needed) or SAN Client (see my previous post).

How to get VM Backup on SAN? should I install VM backup host as media server?

Yes. Or config one of your existing media servers as backup host (as per my previous post).

If I have VCenter Server, can I call it as VM backup host?

No. See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 for supported backup hosts (also mentioned in my previous post). 

iaw
Level 5

for the SAN client (Oracle or vm backup host)
Do I have to connect this client to Tape Library via SAN connection?

Thanks,
IAW

Marianne
Level 6

Yes.

Please read through TECH135896 and Related Articles as mentioned above.

iaw
Level 5

Hi,

SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE SERVER 7.5 WIN/LNX/SOLX64 1 SERVER TIER 2 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

SYMC NETBACKUP STANDARD CLIENT

With licenses above, can I do below configurations?

1. SAN Media Server
2. SAN Client
3. Snapshot Client
4. VMWare Protection on SAN 

Thanks,

IAW

Marianne
Level 6

I'm pretty sure that I have covered licensing needs in my previous posts.

1. SAN Media Server
No. You need Enterprise Client License (as per my previous posts)

2. SAN Client
Yes - Configure your existing Linix media server(s) as FT media servers (see my posts above)

3. Snapshot Client
No. You need Enterprise Client License

4. VMWare Protection on SAN 
No. You need Enterprise Client License (as per my previous posts)

iaw
Level 5

Im a bit confused with SAN Client. Let me reconfirm

I have Tape Library connected to Media Server via SAN, Client to Media Server via LAN.

If I want SAN Client backup to tape with FT Media Server how's the connectivity I need to make:

1. Client to Tape Library = SAN and Client to Media Server = LAN

or

2. Client to Tape Library = SAN and Client to Media Server = SAN

Thanks,

IAW

Marianne
Level 6

I believe all is explained in the documentation that I have referred to in previous posts.

Please take your time and go through the TNs and documentation in 'Related Articles'.
The manuals have diagrams/pictures that explain connectivity.