cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Media Server in Solaris global zone with Client in non-global zone

pdksh
Not applicable
I am in the middle of an installation and have run up against a hardwall. I have a number a Sun M4000 server running with Solaris 10 Zones and Containers. The Global Zone has been configured and licensed as a SAN Media Server and the four Solaris non-global zones are configured as clients.

The purposed solution was to have ORACLE databases running in the non-global zones, backup to the SAN attached tape drives controlled by the global zone. The Oracle agent and the NetBackup client agent work fine when backing up to the NetBackup Master over the LAN but when I direct the backups to the SAN Media server the backup fails with a status code 159 - client license exceded. The trouble shooting guide recommends installing a remote client license.

Conversations with the Veritas System Engineer indicated that on the TEIR license required for the Mx000 servers covers all verital and physical partions created. This exact senerio was presented to the Veritas System Engineer.

Support informed me I require the Remote Client License because NetBackup determines hosts based on unique IP addresses.

Has anyone experienced this problem, Solaris Containers are not a new invention and I assume someone running VMWARE would have had a simmilar problem.

Thank You
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jim_Horalek
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Your problem is a San Mediaserver doesn't have any clients but itself. Seems to be that you should have purchased a Full Mediaserver license. Though is sounds like a very gray area since you still on the same box. Best to complain your Veritas Sales Representative. San Mediaserver were misunderstood from the begining. You just found another blunder.

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jim_Horalek
Level 4
Your problem is a San Mediaserver doesn't have any clients but itself. Seems to be that you should have purchased a Full Mediaserver license. Though is sounds like a very gray area since you still on the same box. Best to complain your Veritas Sales Representative. San Mediaserver were misunderstood from the begining. You just found another blunder.

Jim

Jim_Horalek
Level 4
Sorry Blunder is too harsh a word. Especially since I'm not providing a solution. I'll call it a wrinkle.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Jim,
Are you lost? Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to the forum!

Message Edited by Stumpr on 04-08-2008 07:08 PM