cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP backup policy (the backup failed to back up the requested files(6))

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4
Hi,
I have SAP full database backup policy setup for backing up oracle 10g database which is running on IBM AIX server. For past couple of days this backup has started failing with error message "the backup failed to back up the requested files(6)". On the same server i have same type of SAP policy for backing up archived redo log files of oracle which is running fine but i dont know why full database backup is failing this this error message and no data files are backed up. Any idea?
Thanks in advance

Salman
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
After every backup brtool does a bplist to verify files have been backup correctly. If of some sort the .util file, local bp.conf or global bp.conf is incorrect bplist fails to find the file and brtool fail the entire backup even if the file have been backed correctly.

On the client do a "mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/backint" and then modify permission to make sure SAP can write debug log info into it. "chmod 777 /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/backint".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you had a look at logs yet?
The NBU for SAP Admin Guide explains in the Troubleshooting section what logs are required.
You first need to check the SAP output/logs.
From a NetBackup point of view, you need the backint log (remember 777 permissions when you create the dir).

The troubleshooting guide says the following about status 6:
For a UNIX database extension client (for example, NetBackup for Oracle), this status code can indicate a problem with the script that controls the backup. Check the progress report on the client for a message such as Script exited with status code = number (the number varies). The progress log usually names the script. Check the script for problems. Also, check the troubleshooting logs created by the database extension. See the NetBackup guide that came with the database extension for information on the scripts and the troubleshooting logs.

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4

Hi,
1. Script for bckup has not been changed for last one year almost and las time full database backup was successful on 2nd February 2010 and started failing after that.
2. We have another policy for the same client which backs up the archived redo log files of the database and this policy executes successfuly every time.
3. Excerpt from the log file is as follows

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-02-08 16.30.03
BR0057I Backup of database: P01
BR0058I BRBACKUP action ID: becnohrt
BR0059I BRBACKUP function ID: anf
BR0110I Backup mode: ALL
BR0077I Database file for backup: /oracle/P01/sapbackup/cntrlP01.dbf
BR0061I 55 files found for backup, total size 183597.531 MB
BR0143I Backup type: online
BR0130I Backup device type: util_file_online
BR0109I Files will be saved by backup utility at file level
BR0142I Files will be switched to backup status during the backup
BR0126I Unattended mode active - no operator confirmation required

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-02-08 16.30.03
BR0229I Calling backup utility with function 'backup'...
BR0278I Command output of '/usr/sap/P01/SYS/exe/run/backint -u P01 -f backup -i /oracle/P01/sapbackup/.becnohrt.lst -t file_online -p /oracle/P01/102_64/dbs/initP01.utl -c':
WARNING: drives value missing from parameter file /oracle/P01/102_64/dbs/initP01.utl
default drives value = 1
WARNING: sort_backup_type not specified in .utl file
WARNING: default sort_backup_type to <size> for backup
********************************************************************************
Program:                /usr/sap/P01/SYS/exe/run/backint 6.5
Input File:             /oracle/P01/sapbackup/.becnohrt.lst
Profile:                /oracle/P01/102_64/dbs/initP01.utl
Function:               BACKUP
Backup Type:            BACKUP_FILE_ONLINE
********************************************************************************
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata1/btabd_1/btabd.data1
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata1/btabd_13/btabd.data13
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_2/btabd.data2
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_3/btabd.data3
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_4/btabd.data4
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_5/btabd.data5
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_6/btabd.data6
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata2/btabd_7/btabd.data7
BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapdata3/btabd_10/btabd.data10

BR0233E Backup utility has reported an error while saving file /oracle/P01/sapbackup/cntrlP01.dbf
BR0278E Command output of '/usr/sap/P01/SYS/exe/run/backint -u P01 -f backup -i /oracle/P01/sapbackup/.becnohrt.lst -t file_online -p /oracle/P01/102_64/dbs/initP01.utl -c':

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-02-08 16.30.07
BR0279E Return code from '/usr/sap/P01/SYS/exe/run/backint -u P01 -f backup -i /oracle/P01/sapbackup/.becnohrt.lst -t file_online -p /oracle/P01/102_64/dbs/initP01.utl -c': 2

BR0232E 0 of 55 files saved by backup utility
BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-02-08 16.30.07
BR0231E Backup utility call failed

BR0056I End of database backup: becnohrt.anf 2010-02-08 16.30.07
BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-02-08 16.30.09
BR0054I BRBACKUP terminated with errors
~

I am not able to find "backint log ", where can i locate this?

Thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
After every backup brtool does a bplist to verify files have been backup correctly. If of some sort the .util file, local bp.conf or global bp.conf is incorrect bplist fails to find the file and brtool fail the entire backup even if the file have been backed correctly.

On the client do a "mkdir /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/backint" and then modify permission to make sure SAP can write debug log info into it. "chmod 777 /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/backint".

Anonymous
Not applicable
Compare the .utl file specified for the archive redo logs backup with the .utl file of the database backup

These are normally in the NetBackup SAP backup script on the CMD_LINE entry

Here is mine for example:
fred> grep -v '^$' /oracle/SID/920_64/dbs/initSID.utl_arch |grep -v '^ *#'
backint_dir /oracle/SID/backint_dir
switch_list /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.lis
switch_sem /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.sem
switch_log /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.log
server master
client fred
drives 1
policy fred-SAP-SID-arch
schedule first_copy_save
sort_backup_type size
retry_backup 2
fred> grep -v '^$' /oracle/SID/920_64/dbs/initSID.utl |grep -v '^ *#'
backint_dir /oracle/SID/backint_dir
switch_list /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.lis
switch_sem /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.sem
switch_log /oracle/SID/sapbackup/.switch.log
server master
client fred
drives 4
policy fred-SAP-SID-daily
schedule daily
sort_backup_type size
retry_backup 2
Logs to look at
../netbackup/logs/bphdb/
../netbackup/logs/backint/

Varun_SAP
Not applicable

Dear Salman,

Do you still have this issue? If not, can you please provide me with the solution for it?

Thank you very much!