cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP and Vault......

Toddman214
Level 6

Windows 2008r2 environment, NBU 7.5.0.4, using Vault and SLP duplication.

Hi all,

Due to contractual obligations, some of my backups require duplication from our primary disk storage (datadomain) to our secondary datadomain. But, a third copy must be sent offsite on tape. I feel that this is an antiquated process, but I have to do it. 

Currently, I use SLP to duplcate the data from the primary disk to the secondary disk across town through our metro e connection. Also, I have the same policy set up in a the vault profile to duplicate the original back over to tape once the backup to primary disk completes. I know that SLP can handle all of this by itself, but I have had very bad issues with using SLP to duplicate data to tape in our high volume environment. My question is, how does Netbackup know which copy is copy 2 and which is copy 3? My guess would be that copy 2 would be the SLP job to the secondary disk since SLP starts as soon as the job completes, and the vault job would be copy 3 since vault is essentially scheduled (even though our vault duplications, and backups never stop...they run 24/7/365 with no breaks other than for maintenance.) Also, is it a good idea to use both SLP and Vault to copy the same data to two different sources like that?

Thanks,

Todd 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

1. how does Netbackup know which copy is copy 2 and which is copy 3?

Are you asking about Vault, or SLP? 

For SLP, you can setup using hierarchical structure so that SLP knows why copy to be the source. For example in your case.

SLP1:
  Backup1 --> disk1
     Duplication --> disk2
  Duplication --> tape1

Second duplication, taking this indentation, would get the source from disk1 (1st copy). If you set it to:

SLP1:
  Backup1 --> disk1
     Duplication --> disk2
         Duplication --> tape1

It would instead get the source from disk2 (2nd copy).

If using Vault, you basically "choose backup" from what disk pool, so if you disk1 is the 1st copy, just direct Vault to pick it up from there, simply as that.

There is no complication or issue using both SLP & Vault, as apart from duplication, they are designed for different purposes. Just be careful of the resource and scheduling, to make sure you don't go into media contention etc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

watsons
Level 6

1. how does Netbackup know which copy is copy 2 and which is copy 3?

Are you asking about Vault, or SLP? 

For SLP, you can setup using hierarchical structure so that SLP knows why copy to be the source. For example in your case.

SLP1:
  Backup1 --> disk1
     Duplication --> disk2
  Duplication --> tape1

Second duplication, taking this indentation, would get the source from disk1 (1st copy). If you set it to:

SLP1:
  Backup1 --> disk1
     Duplication --> disk2
         Duplication --> tape1

It would instead get the source from disk2 (2nd copy).

If using Vault, you basically "choose backup" from what disk pool, so if you disk1 is the 1st copy, just direct Vault to pick it up from there, simply as that.

There is no complication or issue using both SLP & Vault, as apart from duplication, they are designed for different purposes. Just be careful of the resource and scheduling, to make sure you don't go into media contention etc.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

I would recommend you to  use either of the the one, SLP or Vault, and recommended one is SLP.

you can achieve your requirement , 1)copy to remote data domin

2)copy to tape from primary data domain

with  above Watsons example

SLP1:
  Backup1 --> disk1
     Duplication --> disk2
  Duplication --> tape1

Second duplication, taking this indentation, would get the source from disk1 (1st copy

Toddman214
Level 6

I stuck with Watson' solution.

"If using Vault, you basically "choose backup" from what disk pool, so if you disk1 is the 1st copy, just direct Vault to pick it up from there, simply as that.

There is no complication or issue using both SLP & Vault, as apart from duplication, they are designed for different purposes. Just be careful of the resource and scheduling, to make sure you don't go into media contention etc."