Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STORAGE UNIT GROUP SELECTION CRITERIA nbu 6.5

hammers09
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
I want to know how storage unit group selection method effects how backups run

Forget load balancing as I am not using enterprise disk !!

I have 4 storage unit groups all disk staging stu's  call them disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4 all have high water mark at 97% and low water mark at 80%

assume all storage units can hold 1100 GB of backups (total 4400)

i have a group which contains all four disk storage units in order as above

my total backup volume of data is 4000 GB so i have enough disk space for 1 complete backup with a bit to spare

If I select either prioritised or round robin and point my full backups at the group then I am seeing the following

the backups get allocated to the storage units as per the selection crfiteria (and based on max jobs specified in the stu)

assume disk1 gets to the high water mark whilst a backup job is writing to it - the job goes to incomplete and status 129 disk full condition

no matter what selection criteria is chosen netbackup does not retry the job to one of the other storage units in the group. Is this correct ?

if i was to use failover and limit the jobs per stu for example to 10 (i.e total 40 across all 4 stu)  what would happen

a)when 11th job came in ?

b) if job 10 was writing and the high water mark was breached would it retry elsewhere ?

from what i read in docs  if any disk full condition is reached then basically it stays queued until some of the images get duplicated when
it is then able to expire some of the other disk copies and free up space for the job to continue running (assuming of course ths all happens within the
backup window)

Basically what i want to be able to do is submit my jobs to the storage unt group and have them write across all four disk staging stu's

(I am aware that you can use disk spanning on basic or advanced disk storgae units but this is not available on disk staging storage units)
0 REPLIES 0