cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Move

mudabo
Level 4
Partner

I have a legacy server located in a remote area that is being moved to the data center.   This server is a NBU master / media server with the only client being itself.   It will become a client of the resident Master server in the new building after the move.   This server writes to an 8MM STANDALONE drive.   The NBU environment in the data center writes to LTO drives, so I was thinking Import of all of the backup images was NOT an option.   My other thought was to just to shut down the Old Master Server, and allow those images to expire (2 yr retention).   Only bring the Old master server up if a legacy restore is required (very few restores in this environment).   Would that be a problem ?  We would bring the STANDALONE 8MM drive over with the server.   My concern is that there could possibly be 2 NBU master servers on the same subnet ?   Comments   Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no problem with 2 masters on the same subnet.

Another option is to use the 'Recovery without Import' method where images folder from old server is copied to resident master.

You will need to connect the standalone 8mm to the resident master or media server.

Add Media Host Override in Host Properties -> Master -> General Server

When a restore is required, you can browse images in GUI and use Media Preview to see which tape(s) are required.

Add tapes as non-robotic in the Media section, select correct density and a pool (preferably a non-backup pool to avoid confusion).

Start restore.

For more info, here are the links to Recovery Without Import docs - the 1st one is 'short and sweet' 3-page version, the 2nd one is the updated, detailed doc.

Recovery Without Import
http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs_103003.pdf

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf