cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Duplication jobs using SLP policies

r1
Level 5
Hey guys ,

I have Solaris 10 , NBU 6.5.6 .we have backups that run to disk then SLP policies to duplicate the data on to tape . Some of these jobs are running exteremly slow all of the sudden , no changes were made to the system . we have 2 tape drives , both are doing this , a duplication job can be super fast the second can be extremly slow . i have played around with the values of the size and data buffers files with no increase or decrease in performance , i can see slight difference but not much as for duplications jobs you can't see the Kbps speed but you can see how fast the data is increasing for the kilobytes in activity monitor .

Does anyone have any ideas or what should i check or look for . i really need to get this resolved because some duplications jobs are still in queue and will be for a long time with this current speed i am getting .

Thanks much
4 REPLIES 4

r1
Level 5
these are LTO 4 Tape drives

kwhittaker
Level 2
Employee Certified
Well, first you can see the Kbytes/sec by looking in the bptm log directory on the media server that is duplicating.

Second, Check the storage unit on the duplication lines in the activity monitor.  Make sure that it is using the same media server for reads and writes.

What is your source disk?  Basic? Advanced? PureDisk? Data Domain?

r1
Level 5
yes i did check it is using the same same , by the way master and media is the same server .

my source disk is advanced disk pool , they are disks locally atatched to the server , no data domain or purse disk , i have a case open with SUN and they ran thier performance tool on the disk pool and all came back ok , and symantec is saying this is not thier problem and i am at loss here . one thing i can say though , i rebooted the server and it looks like the jobs started off fast but few hours later they slowed down again . not sure if the reboot is realted or not but i would greatly appreciate any assistance here . thanks much all

r1
Level 5
what is really werid , when i kill the duplication job from activity monitor , sometimes they the next duplication job that starts runs at really fast speed , then the next one starts after the fast one slows down from 100 Mbps to 4 mbps .