cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spilit Media and Master Server

baltazarb
Level 4
Hey Guys,
Hoping to get some advise which will help me make a decision.  I am trying to determine whether to keep one netbackup server which will serve as master and media server or add a separate media server. I currently perform Tape backups and disk based backups via NBU agents. But we are planning on backing up  our Virtual machines via Netbackup and VCB. My question is if would be advantages to split the netbackup services into a Master and Media server.  The master server would remain attached to the Tape Library and the new media server would handle disk based backups and VCB. 

I would really like your feed backup and guidance. 

Thank You. 
3 REPLIES 3

rjrumfelt
Level 6
handle the new vmware environment coming up?  What are the specs of your master server?

David_McMullin
Level 6
we had a master/media server and found the database load was really slowing us down.
So we split out the master and media server.
Putting the database and log files on faster disk also helped increase throughput.
We have our VM as a media server so it backs up directly attached disk.

baltazarb
Level 4
One more question guys.
If I was to go for a separate media server, how would this affect the backup of the catalog.  Because I noticed when trying to configure off line Catalog backup the option to either do one server at a time. 

Thanks