Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Windows/NDMP policy from Linux/Unix client

PetrHan
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

May be stupid question. I have master server on Windows. I have Oracle linux server as client and also NDMP NAS is client.

I need call bpbackup from Oracle Linux server and on Master server I need start NDMP policy. Because NDMP policy has not User Backup I calculate possible call another policy Windows with client of master server /example PolicyWin/ and on master server I want use bpstart_notify.PolicyWin where I could be start bpbackup -i -p NDMPpolicy. But I cannot call bpbackup -p PolicyWin from Linux/Unix klient.

Of course, I can use solution out of NetBackup ..../ssh on Windows or psexec for call remote command/. 

Me question is if I can use any process on Netbackup for start NDMP policy /call command start of this policy  from linux client by Netbackup interface/

many thanks

Petr

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

By adding this client into server list from master server host propertis, this client came to be given administrative priviledge. Root user on the client can initiate any backup and restore operation including restore to any other client.

In most case, you should not use this way. It is better to use other "out of NetBackup" solution.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why do you you need all these manual operations when NBU on the master server can do this for you without all the complicated processes/scripts?

PetrHan
Level 4

Hello,

The first answer to Yasuhisa, I have not problem with right to start the policy. The problem is that bpbackup -p PolicyWin -t 13 anyfile started from linux client notice the missing correct of typ of policy /Standard insteed MS-Windows and for missing its client name (linux) in policy/

Hi Marianne, please send me advice as I can start ndmp policy if I need call this from oracle linux client (oracle client call ndmp snapshot by ssh  and after this I want run ndmp policy)

Oracle script and snapshot is controlled by administrator of oracle.

So, I have version 7.1.0.2.  After update to 7.5 I will set OST device Netapp for manage and backup snapshots.

Many thanks

Marianne
Level 6

So, what you need is similar to a 'right-click, Manual backup' from the client,right?

As per Yasuhisa's post, you need to add the client as a SERVER on the master to allow the client to do a 'bpbackup -i' (manual policy backup which includes Backup Selection and all other parameters. )
The command you need is 'bpbackup -i -p PolicyWin -s schedule-name' .
-i is the difference between a server-initiated manual backup and a user-directed backup.

PetrHan
Level 4

Hi all,

me appology for delay ....many thanks for help,

I can start NDMP policy from any client. No problem if I want run to backup volume or snapshot and its name is still the same. In the case I can call bpbackup -i -p

If I want start to backup where name of snapshot is different everytime I need input new name of snapshot by script.

bpbackup -s is not working with NDMP .... /any schedule is wrong type because ntb does't support user backup, probably /

best regards

Petr

PetrHan
Level 4

Hello,

me appology for delay...many thanks for help,

bpbackup -i -p is running from Oracle client if I use these parameters and if the name of NDMP snapshot is the same / in policy Backup selection /

If the snapshot name has different name in everytime I cannot use -i -p and also I cannot use -p -s -f because any schedule is not "user backup schedule" and cannot be used by NDMP policy.

What I can use ?

Call remote script on master where bpplinclude use for input correct name of snapshot ?

best regards,

Petr

Marianne
Level 6

Is there any specific pattern in the snapshot name that can be used in a wild card in Backup Selection?

"bpplinclude" is a server command that resides in admincmd and can therefore not be run on a client.