cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting incremental backup from the client

cjvjr
Level 2

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to initiate an incremental backup from the Netbackup Client.

At this moment we have a policy for every server and we start the incremental backup from the Netbackup Console from the server.
I am wondering if this same step can also be performed from the command line on the client.

If it's possible, i would like to ask if somebody can give an example of this.

Cheers,

Kick

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

From a client you can only user backup equivalent backups i.e. full backups. From the master you can run any type of backup as long as you specify the correct schedule name i.e incr/diif/full

May I ask why you're asking about this. I would assume you want a backup to run after some event has occured on the client? If so, you can have NetBackup start the backup, initiate the event on your client, and then continue with the backup once it completed.

Details of bpbackup below.

bpbackup
NAME SYNOPSIS
bpbackup - back up files to the NetBackup server
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup [-p policy] [-s schedule] [-S master_server...] [-t policy_type] [-L progress_log [-en]] [-w [hh:mm:ss]] [-help] [-k "keyword_phrase"] -f listfile | filenames
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup -i [-p policy] [-h hostname] [-s schedule] [-S master_server...] [-t policy_type] [-L progress_log [-en]] [-w [hh:mm:ss]] [-k "keyword_phrase"]
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup -dssu DSSUname

bpbackup starts either of the following processes:

On clients
The first form in the command synopsis, bpbackup starts a user backup equivalent to what is performed by using the interface on the client. This type of backup can be started from any NetBackup client to back up files from that client.
The bpbackup command processes the files that you list on the command line or in the file that you specify with the -f listfile option. A file path can be a file name or a directory name. If the named files include a directory, bpbackup backs up all files and subdirectories of that directory; it starts at the directory itself.

On master servers
The second form in the command synopsis, bpbackup starts an immediate manual backup of a client. This variation requires the -i option on the bpbackup command and is available only to the administrator on the master server. It is equivalent to when you start a manual backup from the NetBackup Administration Console. Use the -h option to specify the host.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

How to take backup from command line:

bpbackup
NAME
bpbackup - Back up files to the NetBackup server.
SYNOPSIS
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup [-p policy] [-s schedule] [-S
master_server [,master_server,...]] [-t policy_type] [-L
progress_log [-en]] [-w [hh:mm:ss]] [-help] [-k
"keyword_phrase"] -f listfile | filenames
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup -i [-p policy] [-h hostname]
[-s schedule] [-S master_server [,master_server,...]] [-t
policy_type] [-L progress_log [-en]] [-w [hh:mm:ss]] [-k
"keyword_phrase"]
install_path\NetBackup\bin\bpbackup -dssu storage unit name

EXAMPLES
Example 1
To perform a user backup of a single file, enter:
bpbackup c:\users\user1\file1
Example 2
The following command starts a user backup of the files that are listed in a file named
backup_list.
bpbackup -f backup_list
Example 3
The following command (all on one line) starts an immediate-manual backup of the client
host named diablo, in the policy named cis_co. The policy type is Standard policy and is
in the configuration on the master server named hoss.
bpbackup -p cis_co -i -h diablo -S hoss -t 0
Example 4
The following command (all on one line) associates the keyword phrase “Backup My
Home Directory 01/01/01” to the user backup of the directory c:\home\kwc . The
progress log is:
c:\home\kwc\bkup.log.bpbackup -k \"Backup My Home Directory
01/01/01"
bpbackup -k "Backup My Home Directory 01/01/01" -L
c:\home\kwc\bkup.log c:\home\kwc
Example 5
The following command (all on one line) associates the keyword phrase “Policy Win NT
01/01/01” to the immediate-manual backup of the client host named slater in the policy
named win_nt_policy.
bpbackup -k "Policy Win NT 01/01/01" -i -h slater -p win_nt_policy
-t 13

cjvjr
Level 2

Hi Riaan,

Thanks for the info.
I would like to use the cmd method in our Windows update script.

At this moment, we first start a incr. backup from the console, wait for the backup to complete and then use a script to install software updates and windows updates.

I would be great if we could also automate the first (backup) step.
However, there has to be some sort of check in the script if the backup has completed with success.

greetings,

Kick Vieleers

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok, thats easy, you can simply create a bpend_notify.bat script and leave it on the client. Once the backup has completed, it will run the script. Just place your windows update commands in the script.

To ensure it only run after the incremental rename it to bpend_notify.policy.schedule.bat where policy is the policy name, and schedule is the name of the incremental schedule. If you leave as bpend_notify.bat, it runs after any backup.

This file needs to be placed on the client in INSTALL_PATH\Veritas\NetBackup\Bin\

cjvjr
Level 2

By the way....

Am i correct to say that it's not possible to start the incremental backup from the associated policy from the client?

Example:

Server: Server1 (W2008) (= client machine)
Backup client: 6.5.5

Policy created in the Netbackup server Console
Server1 (same name as server)

Policy makes a backup of all local drives and system state.
Now we rigthclick on the policy
Select Manual backup
Select incr and start the process.

Can we perform these steps (automated) from the client?

Cheers,

Kick

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

No, you cannot

Let me explain, if you start a backup from the client it uses bpbackup (whether you do it from the GUI or the CLI). Backups initiated from the client will only start if there is a Shcedule of the type "User Backup" and it has an open window. This backup will backup FULL.

The method I described above (my previous post) is using your regular policy that runs every night initiated from the master (scheduled or by running it manually). By creating the bpend_notify.bat you're simply telling the netbackup client to perform a post backup process. This backup can be incremental or full.

EDIT: So we're approaching it a little differently. You wanted to initiate the backup from the client using a script/command, and possibly start your updates after that backup completes. What I'm suggesting has the same effect, but the backup is started by the master (sheduled or manual), client backs up its data, upon completion it discovers the bpend_notify script, performs any actions required by the script i.e. the updates.

Is that clear now?

RiaanBadenhorst

Interesting workaround Nicolai :)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

But from a security perspective it's a no-go. If you add the client to the master server SERVER list you can fire off a immediate backup.

e.g:

D:\veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpbackup -i -p WIN_FS_NN -s daily_inc -S ural -h appdkba1012

But there are some challenges to focus on. If the -h is omitted it will start a backup for all client in that policy. By adding a client to the server list is the same as giving FULL NETBACKUP ADMINISTRATOR right to the client.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The same was possible in NBU 3.2 :D

Best Regards

Nicolai