Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 2001 on new media server

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU - 7.1 Capacity

Master Server - 2008R2

Media Server - 2008R2

Installed a new media server, in a remote office.  It is visible in my Master Server's NBU Admin Console.  I'm able to inventory the robot, found all the tapes, correctly named them, etc.  I've created a Volume Pool and placed all the discovered media into that pool.  I've created policies for the two servers in that office, which are directed to use the Volume Pool at that location.

I was unable to classify the newly created Volume Pool as a scratch pool, so I'm guessing that there is only allowed to be one scratch pool.  If I move the remote office into the scratch pool, will that resolve my issue?  My concern would be that a policy for a machine here in the main office would try to use a media from the remote office, and vice versa, which would be a bad thing.

Anyone have advice for me on this one?

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JHeaton
Level 6

thanks for the replies, sorry for having an "ancient" error, lol.

In the time between initially posting this, and now, we found that the media server actually had an older backup software still installed on it.  That has been removed, and firmware updates have been installed for the robot and the drive.  That seems to have fixed the "no drive available" issue.

Now, I'm getting a Status 48 when I try to manually run a backup, but that's a different issue that I'll try to troubleshoot on my own for a bit, and will create a new topic if I need help with it.

As always, thank you very much for your replies and assistance.  It is greatly appreciated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please forgive my ignorance, but where do you see the status 2001? Any error description linked to the code?  I thought it might have been a new status code introduced with NBU 7.1, so I searched the Troubleshooting Guide.

'2001' does not appear at all...

You are correct - only one Scratch pool is allowed per NBU evironment. Scratch tapes are not limited to a specific robot/location.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

NetBackup status code 2001
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO51653

NetBackup status code 2001

Explanation: A job requested a tape drive, but no eligible drive path was configured for the job.

Recommended Action: Try the following:

• Verify that the required drives and robots are configured and up.

• Verify that ltid is active and a drive path exists that is configured on the drive for the media server that the storage unit requires.

• If the job requires an NDMP drive path, verify that one exists.

bperror -S 2001 should also return a shorter version of the above.

I don't know why it's not in the Troubleshooting Guide - I thought maybe it was really new but I see references to it in 6.5.x as well.

It's also in the Status Code Chart:
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH58686

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris! This one is then part of the 'Status 800 cleanup' that was introduced in NBU 6.5.6. I actually found it in the NBU6.5.6 Troubleshooting Guide! Any idea how we bring it to someone's attention that this was omitted in the 7.1 Troubleshooting Guide ?  I have just re-downloaded the 7.1 version - it's really not there sad...   www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3683

Marianne
Level 6

Now that we know what status 2001 means, let's see if we can assist.... cheeky

Verify from the master server that it 'knows' about the status of the media server and it's devices.

Please run the following on the master from CMD (remember to 'run as administrator'):

cd <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd

First of all, check properties of the Storage Unit created for this media server :
bpstulist -label <storage-unit-name> -L

Check/Verify new policy:
bppllist <policy-name> -U

Check EMM status:
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
nbemmcmd -getemmserver

Verify that master server 'knows" that drives are UP:
cd <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin
vmoprcmd -h <media-server-name> -d
vmoprcmd -h <media-server-name> -devconfig -l

JHeaton
Level 6

thanks for the replies, sorry for having an "ancient" error, lol.

In the time between initially posting this, and now, we found that the media server actually had an older backup software still installed on it.  That has been removed, and firmware updates have been installed for the robot and the drive.  That seems to have fixed the "no drive available" issue.

Now, I'm getting a Status 48 when I try to manually run a backup, but that's a different issue that I'll try to troubleshoot on my own for a bit, and will create a new topic if I need help with it.

As always, thank you very much for your replies and assistance.  It is greatly appreciated.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Marianne,

We both forgot about the Status Codes Guide, which is where I guess all this stuff is being moved/kept up to date...

Here's the 7.1 version:

Symantec NetBackup 7.1 Status Codes Reference Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3685