cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 71 on Backups using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive

Joseph_Rosenbla
Level 2
On some backups using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive the final status is: Status 71: none of the files in the file list exist.

▪ The error happens every time the backup runs.
▪ The error is always the same policies.
▪ The error is always the same drives.
▪ The error occurs on full and incremental backups.
▪ We only use the directive with MS-Windows-NT policy types.
▪ We am on NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1
▪ The Master is running Solaris 9 (64 Bit)

While this problem is not as bad as not backing up existing files/drives it is annoying, time consuming and causes the unaware (Sys Admins, VPs and other non Backup personnel) to get frantic. I have tried deleting and recreating the policies. The Master server has been rebooted and NetBackup restarted a number of times so I do not believe that the backup selection is cached .

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Yosef Rosenblatt
5 REPLIES 5

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Within the NB Admin Console, in the client tab of that policy, is the correct corresponding "Hardware and operating system" being chosen?

What's the NB patch level on server & client?

pmcjury
Level 3
Did you ever find a fix for this.  I recently had the same thing happen.  I am running NBU 6.5.4

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Create log folder <NetBackup_path>\logs\bpbkar  on client, try to perform backup and check log file in this folder. may be somthing like this:
seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305254.htm

Stumpr2
Level 6

ensure that the policy type is still MS-Windows-NT  (sometimes people accidently change it to styandard)

remove TIR

any special characters in the policyname?

can you publish the output of bppllist $POLICYNAME -U

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
 HI Joseph
as you said that you are using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. in the drives you also have any network drive ?
if yes 
than try this
- create a specific account for Netbackup onto your domain,
- put this account in the local administrators group of your Netbackup machine,
- run the Netbackup service with this account (instead of Local System Account)
- put rights for this account on the share you want to backup.

Note:-
If the policy file list is correct, the next most likely cause of Status 71 is the NetBackup Client is unable to
access the files.
On Windows clients, verify the account starting the NetBackup Client service
For a Windows client, verify the account starting the NetBackup Client service has read access to the
files. If the files list includes a network drive or a UNC (universal naming convention) path, use the
Services application in the Windows Control Panel to verify that the NetBackup Client service does not
start under the SYSTEM account. The SYSTEM account cannot access network drives. To back up
network drives or UNC paths, change the NetBackup Client service startup to log in as a user that has
permission to access network drives.