cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow Restore speeds

Brian_R
Level 2

I've been reading and reading through the forums and google etc...  I see lots of people who have slow restores but none of the fixes regarding buffere settings etc... i've found have had any effect on my restores.

I'm pretty new to Netbackup, I'm used to BackupExec.  I'm using Netbackup 5.1 and attempting to do an exchange restore.  When I'm restoring, I'm only getting about 1.5MBps.  In this scenario, the tape drive is directly attached (via fiber) to the server.  The tapes are multiplexed.  If I am basically restoring locally with the tape device attached to the same server why so slow?  I have about 24 restores that need to be done yesterday RE:litigation that are individually taking approximately 27hrs each.  At this rate, I'll be done restoring in a month - but from my new job...

Help!!  TIA

10 REPLIES 10

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

What is the size of your multiplexing? if you have big multiplex number it will be a fast backup but a slow restore

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Large multiplex setting can significantly affect restore speed. Are you sure your restore is going through local drive, not through some other drive and over the LAN. Was backup performed through this local drive?

jim_dalton
Level 6

MPX indeed : what MPX factor are you using, as prev. asked? If its 10 , then its not abnormal to expect restores to be 1/10th the speed of the backup.

Take netbackup out of the picture, pcik some arbitrary data and tar it to the tape, then restore it and see how long it takes. This might point you to the drive.

Also ( and this makes a big difference also) have you tuned netb buffers and blocks? This can increase backup and subsequent restore dramatically.

Combine MPX 10 and untuned buffers and a drive that can do 240M/sec non-mpx could easily downgrade to 6M/sec,mpx.

Also do check the data are flowing where you think they are: check any network trafic and fibre traffic.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Another feature Ive seen is with misconfigured drive within netb...this did exactly as you describe -what shouldve taken minutes was taking hours. Backups were normal speed, but restore files in a folder: a disaster. If youre on netb 5 or less, have you been thro' sgscan and so forth? (Im talking Solaris version here).

Tim

Brian_R
Level 2

Thank you guys for your responses...  I just checked back in and was so surprised to see so many.  Where do i check to the Multiplex factor?  I know they are multiplexed but not sure how to check that in particular.  I have a total of 4 drives attached and I have tried 2 different FC attached drives at this point with the same result.  That still doesn't mean that they are configured correctly but eliminates a hardware problem.  These drives are from a broken library and that is why they are directly attached. Is there a Windows utility or something built in to check config.  I know that they are zoned correctly and there is little to no traffic on the FC switch I'm using. 

This whole thing is from equipment that hasn't been used in a year and is the result of a merger and some new litigation.  So netbackup other than experience with other products is kind of foreign to me.

Message Edited by Brian R on 08-22-2008 09:06 AM

Brian_R
Level 2

OK, I found the MPX settings.  It is set to 5.  I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of best practices and a as long as you have this, this and this then you should be fine.  I'm not incapable of missing something like "click here to restore faster box".  If it's the multiplexing that is dragging me to my restore knees it's one thing, it's just another if I have missed a checkbox here or misconfigured something there.

TIA

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

There is no magic number when it comes to multiplexing, it all depends upon environment you have. Multiplexing factor of 6 may be a good number, when you have fast drives but slow clients. Whereas multiplexing factor 4 may be bad when you have slow drives and fast clients. It all depends upon what resources you have and what are your requirements.

You didn't miss any fast restore button. Under normal circumstances your restore will never be faster than your backup speed (assuming backup and restore are performed using same infrastructure and same topolgy with same kind of server/network load).

Check your bptm logs and see if it's complaining about buffers. Also, look at your HBA card setting, you may have a misconfigured HBA card causing slow restores.

I had asked you earlier also, was this backup performed using the same setup? If backup was performed using a media server and now you are trying to use local tape drives, you will have to make some changes to config to make it work.

Run a DD or  tar or some other utility to see what kind of speed are you getting for read/write using these devices. Please make sure you have scratch tapes to do this kind of testing.

Mouli
Level 3

Hi All,

I am new to NB. I have gone through all your above discussions, but still what is this MPX settings & where do we see this settings? Does this MPX settings contribute to both Backup & restore. Please advice me on this..

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

MPX = multiplexing. It defines how many backups can write to same drive at any given time. A multiplexing setting of 6 means, 6 backups can write to single drive at the same time. You define it at Storage unit level and at the policy schedule level.

It can impact your backup as well as restore and imapct depends upon the environment you have. Multiplexing will have a positive imapct if you have slow NetBackup clients and fast drives but it's another way around you will see a negative impact.

Mouli - If you are new to NB, you may find admin guides very helpful. You can download it from support website.

Http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support

Brian_R
Level 2

That is an excellent point on the same setup issue.  This setup is similar but not exactly the same.  The server that has the tapes direct attached is also the media server as well as the exchange recover server.  I haven't been able to mess with temporary backups etc... I need the tapes restoring even if it is going very slowly.  So I only get very limited troubleshooting with the tape drives themselves.  (Just an hour or two between restores, then back to restoring).

Basically, this server used to only run the backups and is now setup to take Recovery Storage Group restores so that I can then use Ontrack to pull the mail to PST.  Everything should still be remaining local.  I don't know if I mentioned it or not but processor, memory, Disk I/0 and network speed during the restores is negligible.

Would it help if I somehow bypassed the functions of the media server and set it up to go direct?  Is there a guide for switching to a direct restore?  I had been considering loading Backup Exec on there since that is the product I'm most comfortable with but I'm unsure if that would break netbackup and leave me in a worse position.