cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic backups

perez_cmz
Level 6

I currently backup to a datadomain 860 with OS: 5.4.1.1-411752 and firmware 2.6.23. Assumeing I've enabled synthetic fulls on the datadomain, what must be done from Netbackup to begin running synthetic full backups ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dan_42
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You'll need to either check "use accelerator" on the attributes tab of the policy or check "synthetic backup" when performing a full schedule. 

Keep in mind that it's a good idea to periodically run "accelerator forced rescan" and/or do a normal "full." 

I'd also recommend that you consider enabling client-side deduplication. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Dan_42
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi ga2peio, 

What are you backing up, and with what type of policy?

Thanks

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

With DDOS 5.4 and BOOST plug-in 2.6 you can use accelerator. That's "advanced" synthetic so I suggest you try it out. Netbackup will detect data domain support accelerator if you check-mark "use accelerator" in the policy. Job monitor will also say accelerator is enabled. 

perez_cmz
Level 6

Do I need to enable anything on my master or media servers in order to use synthetic fulls, or is everything done from the policy ?

Dan_42
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You'll need to either check "use accelerator" on the attributes tab of the policy or check "synthetic backup" when performing a full schedule. 

Keep in mind that it's a good idea to periodically run "accelerator forced rescan" and/or do a normal "full." 

I'd also recommend that you consider enabling client-side deduplication. 

perez_cmz
Level 6

- What does the "Use Accelerator" option do ?

- What is the "accelerator forced rescan" and how do I run it ?

Dan_42
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Accelerator is a NetBackup feature which implements a "track log" on a per-drive basis to detect changed files. It allows for what amounts to full backups for the "cost" (in terms of CPU/RAM/network utilization etc.) of an incremental. Accelerator "fulls" are fairly analagous to what you normally think of with synthetic fulls. Additionally, incrementals typically take less time as well, especially on filesystems with large numbers of files, as unchanged files (for the most aprt) don't need to be enumerated. 

"Accelerator forced rescan" is an option which forces NetBackup to enumerate through the filesystem and checksum all the files to ensure nothing has been missed somehow. For example, it's rare (but possible) for file data to change without the file metadata changing. Any files which have previously undetected changes, etc. will be refreshed during the scan. This option has less cost than a "full," but more than a typical "incremental" and should be used periodically for safety. 

perez_cmz
Level 6

Can anyone show me what the typical Schedules tab looks like for a policy with synthetic schedules ?

I'm trying to avoid having redundant schedules, and only want the ones necessary for the synthetic to work.