cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table of interop for file system restores?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Over at this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/solaris-10-restore-sun4u-sun4v

...there was a question regarding interop between two different families/type of Oracle (Sun) server types.

But I have a different question, which is...

Q1) Is there a document or tech note which lists which file system types are restorable between each other, e.g. is it supported to restore from a standard backup of a UFS file system to say an Ext4 file system ?

Q2) Does the table cover the more popular file systems like; UFS, VxFS, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, XFS, ZFS ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Never come across one before. From experience, most Unix filesystem backups restore fine to other FS types without issue. If there is an issue, restore it to the same type of FS and copy it to the desired location.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think the official statement from Veritas  would be that a restore should be to the same OS and file system type, since meta data is different from file system to file system (e.g vxFS and EXT4).

Restore from Windows or Linux or vice versa is definite not supported.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Never come across one before. From experience, most Unix filesystem backups restore fine to other FS types without issue. If there is an issue, restore it to the same type of FS and copy it to the desired location.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think the official statement from Veritas  would be that a restore should be to the same OS and file system type, since meta data is different from file system to file system (e.g vxFS and EXT4).

Restore from Windows or Linux or vice versa is definite not supported.

sdo

Cheers Nicolai, indeed I agree - I've never seen a statement to say that it's supported to restore from one file system type to another, let alone any implication that it might be possible.

I was just wondering if there was an interop table somewhere - perhaps listing which features of a file system get stripped off from restores - e.g. extended atributes etc... but, I guess, at the end of the day... if there's no official statement re support - then we clearly know where we stand (or fall).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hey SDO

Found this tech note:

Restoring files from one Operating System to another with NetBackup is not supported

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31677

I think it answer youre qustions half-ways, as it mention some file systems Netbackup do support.

sdo

Awesome - that's the answer.  Thank you.