cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Summary report updated in 6.5?

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4
We recently went from 6.0mp4 to 6.5.3.

I used to run "bpmedialist -summary | grep FROZEN" to produce a report of what tapes where frozen tec but noticed when I ran it this time it returned a lot more Headers than normal.
I then ran the "Tape Summary" report from the GUI and it now lists other than the Master/media & Media server some of our NAS NDMP devices, most have no tapes assigned or the name isn't even valid but a couple now have Active tapes etc.

Was this a change to 6.5 or has something changed that's going to bite us on the arse in the future?
3 REPLIES 3

CY
Level 6
Certified
I think your observation is correct - the built-in reports are updated in 6.5.  The Tape Summary report has the same output as you run "bpmedialist -summary -brief" command.

Call it a feature.  :)   It's all good.

Try run the command this way:

bpmedialist -summary | grep "(FROZEN)"

and you should get only the frozen tapes' ID without those unnecessary info.

Regarding your concern of "the name isn't even valid but a couple now have Active tapes etc.", be aware that you may have some old Media servers not decommissioned properly - NetBackup is telling you that these hosts are "Media Owner" and they own some tapes.  Run the Tape Summary report again, but with the specific "Media Owner" selected (click the drop down menu), and the "Verbose Listing" selected, and see what tapes are owned by these specific hosts.

Calzor_Suzay
Level 4
Hi CY,

Thanks for the previous reply, all seems good on the frozen front.

I ran the verbose reporting on each media owner.
It seems to show all our NDMP devices past and present, the ones in past have no tapes assigned so all good there but our current NDMP devices do have some tapes assigned. Is this an issue or just reporting differently to how it used to. I assumed the media server would be the owner but guess as NDMP talks directly to the drive it takes this, I noticed the 'media owner' option in the policy where you can overwrite it when we upgraded but I've checked and all our policies have it unticked.

Sriram
Level 6
If there are any jobs running through the current NDMP host then it might be those tapes, which it show as assigned.  Just do this

bpmedialist -m <media id>

This command will show when the tape was allocated, when it was last read.

If you know that NDMP host is not valid then you can reuse the tape by using following command

vmquery -deassignbyid <media id>, then you can move the tape to scratch pool.