cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape path with bpbackupdb

Poon_William
Level 4
Hi,

Found a very strange behavior when using bpbackupdb command to backup the catalog.

The master server is on HP-UX running NB 5.1 with MP3. I use the following command and specified a rewind device path.

# bpbackupdb -tpath /dev/rmt/0m

The command went through and the activity monitor also shows that the catalog backup was sucessful. However, when I used bprecover command to list the tape, it prompted that the archive was not in NB format. This was the command that I used to list the tape:

# bprecover -l tpath /dev/rmt/0m
and
# bprecover -l tpath /dev/rmn/0mn

I did the backup again and try to list it using rewind or non-rewind device path and it still failed.

Next, I used the non-rewind dev path to perform the backup again and this time round I can list the tape successfully.

# bpbackupdb -tpath /dev/rmt/0mn

Anyone know why ? Why can't I use the rewind tape path to perform the catalog backup ? It is a bug ? The strange part was that it actually show that the backup was successful.

Thanks.
WP
1 REPLY 1

Brian_Christian
Level 3
The catalog is probably written with multiple OPEN/CLOSE steps. If you use a rewind device, then the trape is rewound between these write operations.