cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape scanning/truncating characters - left to right/right to left

Geezer
Level 2

I recently ran into an issue regarding scanning tape to build a catalog in NetBackup.

It appears LT04 tapes are scanned left to right and truncate the last two characters on the right and LT05 tapes scan right to left and truncated the last two characters on the left.

I couldn't build a catalog with both LT04 and LT05 tapes due to this issue.

NetBackup only allows one rule to be developed at a time.

I had to dismount the LT04 tapes and build a separate catalog for the LT05s, then reverse the process for LT04s.

Anyone run into this problem and has anyone solved this problem?

-Geezer in Seattle

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I assume that you are talking about adding new media by robot inventory volume configuration update. Media ID is picked up following Media ID Generation Rule, and this rule applies to all tapes regardless of media type. Check if correct media id generatin rule is set for your robot. And delete all media affected, then try update again. Change to the rule does not take any effect to existing media. If you want to pick up first 6 barcode characters as media ID, the rule must be "1:2:3:4:5:6".

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU works with whatever the robot sees and reports to NBU.
Some robots report the 1st 6 characters only and others all 8.
NBU default is to store the last 6 characters.

You can create Media I'd geneneration rules for each robot. Detailed info in NBU Admin Guide I.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Check your vm.conf for MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS there you will how many characters you are taking.