cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training & learning opportunities for a novice on NetBackup 8.1.2

ladadmin
Level 2

Hello community!  I'll slowly start taking over our backup responsibilites at my current position.  We are currently using NetBackup 8.1.2.  The past couple weeks I've fumbled my way through doing some tape restores, removing full tapes, adding empty tapes, etc.

I'd like to step back and get a fundmental understanding of how this system works. I get a little overwhelmed just by looking in the admin console!  I can do those basic tasks mentioned above but I want to get some proper training or learning oppertunites for the product.  After some searching on here it sounds like the good ol' admin guides are a good place to start and I assume there is some paid training available out there.

Just curious if the group here had any other recommendations - maybe there exists a pretty decent youtube video seris or something?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

GeForce123
Level 5

What level of support do you have? If you have BCS Support, you could talk to your BCS Account Manager. They offer like 1 credit for an online lab/class of your choosing per year.

Otherwise, just dig into the Admin Guides and maybe build yourself a small test environment to play around with. You could also check out some of the videos on Youtube by 'Veritas Technologies LLC' some of their videos on explanations are pretty decent from a high level.

@GeForce123 wrote:

What level of support do you have? If you have BCS Support, you could talk to your BCS Account Manager. They offer like 1 credit for an online lab/class of your choosing per year.

That's a great idea.  I will reach out and check into this.  Thanks!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ladadmin 

There is so much to learn about NetBackup that YouTube videos won't help.
You may find videos about certain topics, but there is nothing that will help to tie things up and form a complete picture. 

You really need to convince your management to send you on a 5-day classroom NetBackup Admin training. 
That will help you understand the basics. The next training is a 5-day Advanced training course. 
And then NBU Maintenance and Troubleshooting.

Other than that, download manuals and start reading.... start with Admin Guide I. There are many more manuals - download anything that seems useful in your environment.
You can find links to manuals in Handy NBU Links in my signature.