cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical LTO 3 and 4 Speed ?

Puffy
Level 6

Hi,

I just want to compare mine with others. What is the norm you can expect from them.

Typically I get 10-30 MB/s writing for LTO 3 Drives. Of course it depends on the content as well.

Just wondering what others typically get.

Message Edited by Puffy on 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

LTO3 has 80MB/s in native.. you should to get between 80-140 MB/s but it depends on compression of data, type of data, speed of you disks, lan, FC cards, switch etc..

and of course you should to tune number and size of data buffers.

Message Edited by Marek Kedzierski on 01-24-2009 01:34 AM

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Further to the above answer, windows clients seem to have a fairly low max speed ...

Nick_F1
Level 3
Generally around 20-40MB/s here (from Windows servers), mostly depends on file size

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Max thru'put I've seen on our set-up (LTO3) would be:

60Mb/s for UNIX (10 streams at 6Mb/s, 12 at 5 etc, down to ~15-20Mb/s for single stream)

70Mb/s for NDMP (averages about 20Mb/s tho')

???Mb/s for Windows Servers (have left for the day when these kick in!)

As mentioned on previous posts this all depends on file sizes, client resources, network resources etc etc etc. and on any performance tweaks in place (ours are default - tried upping buffer sizes etc the other day & made no difference whatsoever)

jim_dalton
Level 6

With conditions right ( ie one large file stored local to the master/media server) I can get 120M/sec to LTO4 with uncompressable data, and getting on for twice that with 'ordinary' averagely compressable data.

Itmakesforagoodtest(apologiesaboutlackofspaces-itsasymantecproblemithink!)

After that everything else is slower, but 50M/sec is acceptable. Typically I find its the clients that are too slow to feed data so I MPX up my clients.

Tim.