cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Restore Client: Failed to Verify Backup

AndyG
Level 2
Current test environment, Netbackup 6.5 Master, Media & Boot server Win2K3.  Test client VmWare running Win2K SP4, ran bare metal restore backup with all directives set, attempt restore to VmWare client but after disk management screen restore continually fails with error ...failed to verify backup.  Have tried several full backups with same result.  VmWare environment the same for backup & restore.
4 REPLIES 4

AndyG
Level 2
On further investigation I am also unable to restore any server 2k3 clients - same error.  Although I successfully managed to backup & bmr an XP client??

Checked log files for successful and unsuccessful bmr tasks and all show registry errors in HKLM\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\BareMetal\RestoreStepDescription, return code = 2, also plenty of directory not found errors.  Can anyone help??

shortypowers
Level 2
Andy,

I ran into this problem yesterday and if I recall correctly it was related to the "Policy Type" option in the backup policy.  When I had type "Standard" (which is apparently for UNIX) chosen, I received the "Failed to verify backup" error.  When I changed the policy type to "Windows-NT" (this is for NT/2000/2K3/XP, per documentation) and performed a new backup, I was then able to successfully do a BMR of a 32-bit Windows 2003 server.

Hope that helps.

marc_thibodeau
Level 3
I have the same issue with my MS Server 2003 standard BMR. I do have the right policy selected. I have tried to performe a backup on my production server and my lab server with the same result as you. As well, I've tried several backups and a couple of different servers with the same result. any help with this issue would be great.

Marc

AndyG
Level 2
Hi

thanks to shortypowers for his input.  I have just traced the problem and it surrounds name service issues and dns.  My test environment was not utilising dns properly to resolve client names.  Added entries to hosts file in master/media servers and BMR backup/restore now good.  When restoring to dissimilar client ensure BMR restore is 'prepped' with MAC address of target client.  In essence ensure master server is correctly resolving clients.

Hope this helps.

AndyG