cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to browse esx virtual center or host w Netbakcup 6.5.3

rajchoksey
Level 2
I am trying to create a policy to backup esx host unable to browse for vm's in the virutal center or any of the esx hosts. Error message is client hostname could not be found(48). The setup is Media server and vcb is installed on same machine. the vc server has been added under credetials & VM Servers. From Media server/vcb host if i give the command vcbVmName -h vchost -u <user_name> -p <password> -s any it list all my vm's on all my esx host. If I ping or do nslookup from vc hostname it resolves. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Scott_Lundberg
Level 4
I am confused what you are trying to backup, the .vmdk file on the ESX server, or are you trying to connect to a VM running on the ESX server?

If you are trying to backup up the .vmdk file on the ESX server, you need to create a snapshot first, then take the backup, then roll the snapshot into the running machine.

Are you using the Vmware plugin for NetBackup?  If not, you will have to write scripts or manually create the snapshots using vcbMounter.exe.  example:

vcbMounter.exe -h vchost -u <username> -p <password> -M 1 -F 0 -t fullvm -m "san" -a uuid:<uuid from the vcbVmName command above>  -r  <location to copy .vmdk files to>

This case is for a .vmdk file that is on a SAN, but you can also push this over a network, assuming that the ESX server has a route to the location you are trying to copy the .vmdk file to.
Once the .vmdk file is copied to a locally accessable (to the Media server), you can then backup the .vmdk file(s) and other config files (.vmx, logs, etc)

HTH

rajchoksey
Level 2
I am trying to use the Vmware plugin. I am unable to add a client under clients tab in a policy. The most of the vmdk files are on the esx hosts except 2 or 3 are on the san. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you using a proxy server, if so then you must complete config in NetBackup for that server and also input details of your Virtual Center Server or ESX Host.?

NetBackup for VMware

schmaustech
Level 5
Are you saying your Media server is also your VCB Proxy?  I do not believe you can have the VCB proxy as a media server.  They need to be seperate.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

From VM DOC

NetBackup for VMware uses a NetBackup master server and media server plus a
special host called a VMware backup proxy server. The VMware backup proxy
server is a NetBackup client that performs backups on behalf of the virtual
machines. A single proxy server can perform backups of many virtual machines.
The host that contains the proxy server can also be configured as a NetBackup
master or media server.

Scott_Lundberg
Level 4
Yes, it works.  We have been doing just that (Media and Master server and VCB Proxy on the same physical box) for two years without problems.

The thing that is not a best practice is having the VCB Proxy, VirtualCenter Server and the Netbackup Media/Master server on the same machine.  I think this is purely for the reason of not interrupting your VirtualInfrastructure clients if you have to mess with the backup server (i.e. reboots of the backup server in the middle of day when people need access to the VC Server).  
We have been running all three on the same server without problems.

rajchoksey
Level 2

I am still trying to get this to work. I have verified the credentials as listed in doc 318010 and get listing of vm's confirming the vc server is listening on 443 and using vcb 1.1. Thanks your responses.  

Scott_Lundberg
Level 4
Can you connect using the Virtual Infrastructure client installed on the same machine as your netbackup console?  Make sure the VI client is using vcb 1.1 and https protocols as well or the test won't be any good...

rajchoksey
Level 2
Yes I can connect using vi client on the same machine w netbak console. How do you check whether the vi client is using vcb 1.1. Thanks

Scott_Lundberg
Level 4
You should be able to go to:  https://<ipaddressof vCenter> 
On the right, click on the "login to web access" link
Login and you should get the list of virtual machines on that vCenter. 
Other than that, I don't know of a way to confirm that the v1.1 web access is working. 

BTW, are you using custom certificates on your vCenter?  If so, that might be part of the problem if the client with the NetBackup client doesn't have that certificate added to its allow list.  When you connect with the web browser, if you have a custom cert that is not installed, you will get a prompt to add it

HTH