Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore from Netbackup MS SQL Client - Catalog Old Tape

NeoxMonsta
Level 2

Hey Guys ! 

Thanks for taking the time , I need some help here Smiley Mad

Basically we have this Backup tape which is quite some time back, which contains SQL Server database. 

In the beginning , the tape was showing empty 0 KB and 0 Images everything is in 0's

After completed the steps below , Running catalog of the tape and we are finally able to see the data in the tape. Yeah !

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000029918

After completing the last step Import in the guide above we went on to the step below. 

Trying to restoreTrying to restoreError OccurError Occur
Does this look correct to you ?Does this look correct to you ?Does the script generated looks okay ? should i still proceed with the restoring ?

if for those backup that does is not required catalog , there is no error shown

and the text file provided is as shown below.

This is how the normal one should looks likeThis is how the normal one should looks like

Please Help how to restore SQL database from old catalog backup tapes :( ??

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@NeoxMonsta

Apologies if this is a dumb question - but did you complete phase 1 (initiate/initialize import) as well as phase 2 (import)?

Can you show us the Results tab for both phases?

One more question - which SQL version are you restoring from?
Restoring to same or different version?
(LOL - those were 2 questions Smiley Tongue )

Hi Marianne ,

Yes I have done phase 1 and phase 2 , thats the reason why i am able to see the data inside that tape which previously was only showing empty.

We are restoring to the same version. 

We then moved on to the step where we "Create a Move Template" then the error occurs.

Marianne
Level 6
The information that you see in the SQL GUI is the image header information.
Phase 1 import creates the header information in the NBU catalog and is a relatively quick process.
Phase 2 reads the contents of each image and polulates the 'file' list in the catalog. This is a lengthy process.

When you create a move template, the 'file' info is extracted from the catalog (this is the NBIMAGE value in the move template that you shared).

You can have a look at this TN on how to use bplist command to get the 'file' (NBIMAGE) info in order to create your own restore script:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000027822

Manual Scripting will work but that script is restoring to the original location. This will cause issue to production. 

Below is the issue that i am facing. I realize that when creating a move template for a catalog tape which shows *DATABASE IMAGE PLACEHOLDER* the Error occurs. 

But if I restore from *January 20, 2018 at 11:08:37 PM* - the script is generated without issue. 

Error GeneratedError Generated

Manual Scripting also has been carried out. 

But i am not so confident to run it , this by logic should restore to the temp folder.

I prefer that the script is generated from the netbackup built in software. 

Manual ScriptManual Script

Marianne
Level 6

I am trying to help you here in an attempt to understand why NBU seems to have a problem with listing the NBIMAGE.
bplist will show us what is in NBU catalog 'files' entries that is used as NBIMAGE.

Other than output of bplist, the bprd log on the master will also help to understand what the problem is.
Please create bprd log folder on the master server (if not there already). Restart NBU after creating the folder.
On the restore/destination SQL server, ensure that bpclient log folder exists. No need to restart. 

Run bplist command on the destination SQL server as well as the master server and show us the output:

bplist -C <source-SQL-client> -t 15 -s 01/18/2018 -e 01/19/2018  -R /

Do the same for the period/dates that are working.