cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view Client properties

AlGon
Level 6
Very new to Netbackup.

The problem I have is that when I try and display the host properties of some of my clients using the netbackup Administration console it fails to display the details and just displays the screen "Loading data for selected hosts".  I have left this screen up for over 30mins before having to hit the interrupt button.  The clients in question are all Windows 2000.  General network connectivity to these clients all seems ok.  I'm able to ping\nslookup etc successfully. 

What logs directories do I need to create on the client in order to help diagnose this problem? 
Is this a known bug and is there a patch for it?
Any other ideas?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

kumar_Arumugam
Level 4
Add client hostname and IP Address to the Master server host file vise versa add the master server hostname and ipaddress to the client system.

your problem will be solved

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I am not sure I would agree with that answer.

first - do you get good backups? 
or are you trying for the first time to add the server to backups.

if you are running the admin console from you pc. try adding your pc name to the client under list of servers.
it could be just that the client will not let "your pc" see its properities.  ( have had to do this on a few servers)
I have been trying to figure out why but have not come put with the answer yet.

If do no currently use host files, then don't start, a work around is the a sloution.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
that list line, should have been

a work arould is NOT a solution.
try to find the cause with out chaning your network set up.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
is this client under a firewall or DMZ/SESF? other thing you can try is:

bpgetconfig -M <clientname> -x

this will bring up exactly the same data you retrieve from the GUI.

hope this help.
regards

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified
Do none of the clients load and how many are you selecting at once? If you are selecting a whole load of clients I would expect it to takje a bit of time but in the "Loading data for selected hosts" it should dispay something like "sucessfully loaded host data" for each of the clients and then when all are loaded you get the properties come up.

Seems really odd that its just sitting there doing nothing.

Maybe a silly question but have you checked that the agent is running on the client? I have had instances when the NBU service has mysteriously stopped on some client (though connecting has always timed out rather than just sat there trying to load).

Good luck!

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
1. first check that you can telnet to bpcd from the master > client and then from the client > master

2. verify by using bptestbpcd.  You can test with various connect_options to simulate vnetd, call-back, etc.

3. verify the master server is the first server listed in the server entry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

Alan_Milne
Level 2

Sorry for the late reply, I have had a few days off :).  Thanks for all the suggested fixes, much appreciated.  I tried a few suggestions which are all good to know for future troubleshooting.  In the end it turns out to be a bit of a schoolboy error and something I should have thought of straight away :(.  The clients in question are all Windows 2000 service Pack 3. I can’t believe will still have some on this service pack, I guess I just assumed they would all be up to date.  Anyway, after updating to service pack four I'm able to view host properties without a problem.  This has also fixed the network connection timeout errors that were produced in the failing backups of these particular clients.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

Al

workingHard
Level 3

Hi all, I recently encounter the same problem too. Again, it hungs on "loading details of selected Hosts"

If I run the "bpgetconfig -M <<clientname>> -x" it can get the information.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the client. I can telnet to the BPCD port 13782 without problem.

the client box is running win2003x86 sp2.

Any suggestion?

workingHard
Level 3
We fixed the problem by remove the network card from Device Manager, shut it down, remove the Virtual network card (It's a VM) then re-add it, set up all the IP/DNS/WINS again, then it works now.

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
this seemed to have fixed mine as well ...