cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NBU 7.1 to 7.6.0.4 NBCC

FredPeter
Level 1
Hello, 

I have a master server with nbu 7.1 and need to upgrade to version 7.6.0.4 on company request.
When running nbcc it was confirmed that the catalog is inconsistent but the company does not support veritas,
how should I proceed in this case to upgrade to NBU 7.6.0.4.
Or if you can inform me where I find the documentation of veritas that informs
that after running nbcc it is necessary to send the files to them. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi FredPeter,

I hope you realise that both the version your are running (7.1) and the version you are planning to upgrade to (7.6.0.4) both reached end of support life in February 2017.  Due to this, you will not be able to get any support from Veritas, may have issues finding documentation, and unless you already have a copy of the 7.6 / 7.6.0.4 media you will not be able to download it.  If your company values its data, having a valid maintence and support contract is a must.

I would highly recommend that if you do get to version 7.6, you discuss with your management the importance of valid support, and then upgrade from 7.6 to a supported version (either 7.7.x or 8.x.x), and keep your maintenance up to date.

NBCC is normally run to check for catalog inconsistencies prior to an upgrade.  It creates a support package which can be sent to Veritas if inconsistencies are found.  Veritas then review this and depending on the outcome they will then get you to run NBCCR (if there are issues with tapes) using an SRA (Suggested Repair Actions) file that they provide.

This is a link to NBCC for NetBackup 8.0:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123888357-126796731-0/v20745226-126796731https://www.verit...

If you have a look at the fifth bullet point, it states "Creates a packaged bundle for Veritas technical support to review".  The reason is Veritas support have the tools necessary to read the output files and determine the necessary actions to make the catalog consistent.  You "may" be able to read through the output yourself and determine isssues and actions to take.  I can't say I've tried before, as I've only ever had NBCC issues once (inconsistent disk images that had missing fragments, and a couple of tape issues).

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi FredPeter,

I hope you realise that both the version your are running (7.1) and the version you are planning to upgrade to (7.6.0.4) both reached end of support life in February 2017.  Due to this, you will not be able to get any support from Veritas, may have issues finding documentation, and unless you already have a copy of the 7.6 / 7.6.0.4 media you will not be able to download it.  If your company values its data, having a valid maintence and support contract is a must.

I would highly recommend that if you do get to version 7.6, you discuss with your management the importance of valid support, and then upgrade from 7.6 to a supported version (either 7.7.x or 8.x.x), and keep your maintenance up to date.

NBCC is normally run to check for catalog inconsistencies prior to an upgrade.  It creates a support package which can be sent to Veritas if inconsistencies are found.  Veritas then review this and depending on the outcome they will then get you to run NBCCR (if there are issues with tapes) using an SRA (Suggested Repair Actions) file that they provide.

This is a link to NBCC for NetBackup 8.0:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123888357-126796731-0/v20745226-126796731https://www.verit...

If you have a look at the fifth bullet point, it states "Creates a packaged bundle for Veritas technical support to review".  The reason is Veritas support have the tools necessary to read the output files and determine the necessary actions to make the catalog consistent.  You "may" be able to read through the output yourself and determine isssues and actions to take.  I can't say I've tried before, as I've only ever had NBCC issues once (inconsistent disk images that had missing fragments, and a couple of tape issues).

Hope this helps,

Steve