cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading 6.5.3 to 7.1 - Do you have to convert the DB first?

DataSaver
Level 2

I am upgrading from Veritas Netbackup 6.53 on a Windows 2003 x64 to ver 7.1 on a new 2008R2 server.

Do I have to first upgrade the 6.5.3 box to 7.1 (so the DB schema changes can occur) or can I just backup the Vertas DB and Restore on the new 7.1 server?  (I remember in the past this was critical and tedious)

The reason I ask, I tried to "upgrade" and it corrupted my server (it rolled-back the install) - now my master backup server is corrupted and will not start.

I would really like to just perform a "restore" of my Veritas DB backup and finish configuring my new server.

The Veritas Guides are not much help (Who writes these things?! - they must be former Cisco tech writers)    : (    and managing a Vertas backup server isn't my only duty.

Thank you in advance for an answer.

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Catalog backup must be restored on same version, so you have to re-install 6.5.3 and perform catalog recovery on it. After successful completion, you can upgrade to 7.x.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE open a SEV 1 support call about your failed upgrade.

You can only use catalog backup and restore to migrate to new platform on the same NBU version. Catalog restore will fail if database schema is not exactly the same.

Problem is that W2008R2 is only supported as from 7.0, so you cannot migrate while on 6.5.x.

The only way I can see is that you need to successfully upgrade to 7.x on your current master, then migrate. (Please log that call!)

See TN    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447     for more info.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

oh boy this is going to be a big one.

Let's start out from the beginning. First of this seems like you are migrating master servers, is that correct?

Are they running the same OS?

IF you had to roll back, you have to re-install the same version of NBU+ patch level. Next run a bprecover to bring the old catalog backup.

Post in the forum after you are done with that and I will help you.

DataSaver
Level 2

Install Netbackup 6.5.3 on my new 2008r2 server.

Restore the DB

Upgrade to 7.1

I really appreciate the help!

DataSaver
Level 2

NetBackup developers - please consider "OS Checking" prior to "upgrading" (in this case corrupting my master backup server).  That would be a valuable feature.  I ran the "validation check" that is on the 7.1 install media and it indicated that "all was peachy" - so I attempted an upgrade.  [It in no way attempted to "warn" me that it was going to corrupt my server]

Another great feature - how about a stand alone DB converter?  It seems kind of primative to have to "upgrade" the version of the software installed when the developers could create a "DB Converter" utility.

The converter could work like this:

What Version is the DB?   (offer different versions)

What Version do you want to convert to?   (offer different versions)

Perform "DB Conversion"

Just a couple of useful enhancements.

Thanks,

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Wow that was a lot of questions... okay.

Install Netbackup 6.5.3 on my new 2008r2 server.

=> Windows 2008 R2 pre NBU7 is NOT supported as a master server. 

Restore the DB

Upgrade to 7.1

Best upgrade method:

=> use the previous server to upgrade that one to NBU7 and then move the catalog over. If you are unable to do so upgrade the old master server to the latest version of 65. Now Install the same version of NBU on the new master server. Upgrade the catalog and as your last step upgrade to NBU7.

NetBackup developers - please consider "OS Checking" prior to "upgrading" (in this case corrupting my master backup server).  That would be a valuable feature.  I ran the "validation check" that is on the 7.1 install media and it indicated that "all was peachy" - so I attempted an upgrade.  [It in no way attempted to "warn" me that it was going to corrupt my server]

=> We check to some extend.

Another great feature - how about a stand alone DB converter?  It seems kind of primative to have to "upgrade" the version of the software installed when the developers could create a "DB Converter" utility.

=> It does exist, however we pretty much only use this IF the upgrade failed to convert the EMM DB.

The converter could work like this:

What Version is the DB?   (offer different versions)

What Version do you want to convert to?   (offer different versions)

Perform "DB Conversion"

=> This requires to have the target version installed and JUST the EMM upgrade has failed.