Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use PureDisk to Backup using NetBackup Client

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is it possible to use NetBackup Client in PureDisk For backup

Can we register PDDE plugin in PureDisk and use WebConsole to Activate NetBackup client.

i'm quite unsure this would happen, I remember i direct NetBackup client to store send data to PDDO configured in Netbackup Media Server

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The componet included in NetBackp 7.x is just plug-in based on PureDisk technology - not complete set of PureDisk agent. I believe such configuration does not wotk, or at least, is not supported. Consider to use NetBackup client for Windows 7 hosts with PureDisk Disk Pool if possible.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

watsons
Level 6

Do you mean installilng Netbackup client on a Puredisk client (agent)? 

I have tried this before, the installation would work, so does the backup works initiated by the master server, and yes, the backup can be configured to write to a storage unit with a backend storage of Puredisk (PDDO) via media server.

So basically what this means is that,  I think it's possible for a host to have both Puredisk agent & Netbackup client installed, and backup using both methods.

But if you're talking about registering the Netbackup client with PDDO, and run the "Netbackup-type" backup via Puredisk webconsole, I don't think so.

cbode
Level 4
Partner

The two are effectively merged in NBU 7.1/7.5 if you use MSDP as your deduplication engine.  You even get to keep the pd.conf :)

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

My presumtion went wrong here. Let me clear it bit more

We would be using PureDisk for Desktop OS protection and NetBackup for Server protection

Windows 7 systems have NetBackup client deployed. re-deployment of PureDisk client would be more time consuming and many hurdles are there . Without re-deployment can we register NetBackup client with PureDisk and Perform backup/restore operation through PureDisk console only

I know NetBackup client is totally different then PureDisk client. NetBackup client has PureDisk engine integration 7.x onwards. That's amazing. Also BAR GUI works differently then PureDisk

using pdregister on NetBackup client i needed to register it with PureDisk

Is this possible

Kind a cross platform agent/server communication

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The componet included in NetBackp 7.x is just plug-in based on PureDisk technology - not complete set of PureDisk agent. I believe such configuration does not wotk, or at least, is not supported. Consider to use NetBackup client for Windows 7 hosts with PureDisk Disk Pool if possible.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

If your concern is to offer desktop users (or yourself) ability to use a web GUI to control backups and restore, you can probably use/install OpsCenter (basic version is free for Netbackup users). This will allows users to start backup jobs and also search for items to restore and launch corresponding task using a browser.

You can also define views in order to restrict what users can view (understand, which server they can see and what role they could play).

This way, you can continu using NBU Clients to backup to NBU server and save deployment time while offering WEB possibilities to users.

Regards