cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Netbackup 5.1 to backup large windows shares

Nick123
Level 2
currently I am using Netbackup 5.1 (yes its an old version) to backup several of our new Windows servers.

Due to size I want to split this backup to backup all folders  within the Windows share with all folders starting with letters 'a-m' and then cretae antoher job for all folders from 'n-z'.
Is somthing like this possible?

I now know when backing up netware you can create new streams as below, can the same be done for windows file shares?

NEW_STREAM
/nfsmount/volume/host/data/[a-mA-M]*

thanks for any responses
4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Here is a tech note that you can get some inspiration from :

DOCUMENTATION: Clarification of the use of wildcards in a policy's file list
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275578.htm

Remember to enable multiple streams in the Policy.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

I think you have to use FlashBackup-Windows to backup your file servers with decent speed. Multistreaming is good, but not as good as FlashBackup.

Nick123
Level 2
thanks for the reponse Nicolai

when creating a new stram and try to run the C:\[a-jA-J]*\*
     (im my case it is  P:\[a-jA-J]*\* )I am still getting a  71 emmage status, although the files certainly do exist and the correct like is on the server requried to back up.  Am I doing anything incorrect?

ps I like you 'Assumption is the mother of all mess ups' sig, nice to see you are using the toned down version :)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From the tech note:  (my first reply was not 100% true I can see, Sorry)

Modification:
There is a difference in behavior when using wildcards in the file list for Windows versus UNIX clients.  UNIX clients will allow file lists to contain a "*" wildcard for sub directories.  This option is not available for Windows clients.  The wildcard can only be used in the file name portion of the file list.

As a work around, try setting max job per policy to e.g. 4 and then set the backup selection to P:\* 

Allow multiple data streams must be enabled. Each sub directory will be a separate backup job. I know this is not what you wan't but it's the best way I can think of getting around the issue.