cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a list to add multiple new backup selections to an exisiting policy with bpplinclude command on Solaris

dnaflr2
Level 3
In our current environment we have 50-200 changes to an exisitng policy in any given week. I can produce the lsit of changes with bppllist and text manipulation, but is it possible to feed this list into bpplinclude so I don't have to manually enter all of these new backup selections?

OS - Solaris 10
NB - 6.5.3

Thanks,
Josh
8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

"50-200 changes to an existing policy in any given week"

But I have to ask what kind of Change Management is that? 

How can one guarantee successful restore in such environment?  

In answer to your question, yes, I suppose you could script it though that doesn't solve the big questions above.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Change your current environment. Data protection can not honestly be achieved with such a solution.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

One of the big points of NB is to let it do the work for you.
If setup correctly you don't have to do much day to day, add new servers remove servers, check failures and SC 1's.

But to change your include list daily is way to much work and open to so many errors that trust could not be achived.

I agree with Stumpr - change your enviroment and the way you do backups.

dnaflr2
Level 3
Unfortunately we are not talking standard clients, but the backup of data filers. Instead of backing up the filer at the volume level we are now backing up at the directory level to gain better control over policy monitoring/restarting etc, in the event of a failure.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Can you use what Stumpr refers to as the phone book method?

New Stream
e:\a*
e:\b*
e:\c*
New Stream
e:\d*
e:\f*
e:\g*
New Stream
and
on
and
on
and
on

breaking the up into new streams with at least 1 vaild back in each area.
Say you have dirs starting with A but no B or C.   say the next vaild one was h then you would had h to the second stream.  this way you get all your dirs, and they are broken up into smaller backups.  If you ghen get a F and it is big add a new stream between F and G.

dnaflr2
Level 3
Would be interested in learning more about the phone book strategy. Is there another thread outlining this?

Thanks,
J

Stumpr2
Level 6
Telephone Keypad Strategy
I posted this in this forum not too long ago. here is the encore :)

I have a client that I setup 10 policies to backup the files. I used the telephone keypad as a model

Policy_0
D:\dept\0*

Policy_1
D:\dept\1*

Policy_2
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\2*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\A*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\B*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\C*

Policy_3
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\2*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\D*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\E*
NEW_STREAM
D:\dept\F*

and so on.....

I needed to break them up into separate policies so that I could split up the full backups throughout the week. Otherwise the 2.5TB of data would take too long to do it at one time

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I remember you had this post and I knew it has something to do with the phone, so I had it in my head as phone book, I should have said Telephone Keypad strategy.   ( before this I just called it the ABC method).

The only difference is I have mine all in one policy with multi streams - because I do the full over the weekend.