cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using remote master server SLP to seed?

ChrisDUK
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I have the need to back up multiple servers the wrong side of a slow wan link and from what I can determine the best way previosly would be to backup these at the remote site to tape and then restore to local servers to run the initial backup for seeding, which would be very time consuming.

Would the following be possible or is there a better way now in 7.1?

Build a laptop as master / media with an attached usb hdd for the msdp, back up servers at remote site using SLP with remote master server as duplication job and only allowing the duplication to run when returned to central location. 

Thanks

Chris

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

It would be a media server (not master) unless you're looking at AIR. A laptop might be a little underpowered to do the job but you could try it. Also not sure if it will accept the storage. Best bet would be a server with a lot of internal storage. Might also be a good idea to add the duplication piece to the SLP after you've done the backups. SLPs have a mind of there own when it comes to running/executing.

ChrisDUK
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

I've previously setup a laptop in this way and it performed well enough for a one off job.  The idea being that the system could run independantly (as master and media) and then utilise the new function in 7.1 of duplicating to a remote master server to avoid restoring a larege number of servers locally purely for the backup seed jobs.

Regards

Chris

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yeah thats AIR (Automated Image Replication). Should work fine then :)