cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using wildcards in backup selections

Simon_Tindall
Level 2
Hi,

I am using Netbackup 5.1 to backup large drawing files in over 300 folders, my current backup selection is just looking at the root of all these folders.

example of folders being backed up

C:\Drawings\Folder_aaa
C:\Drawings\Folder_aab
Drawings\Folder_zzz

So my backup selection in netbackup is just set as
C:\Drawings

This was working perfectly until the backup job was getting too big for one nightly backup.

We have decided to split up the backup job so only certain folders get backed up on certain nights i.e

Mon: Folders aaa-hhh
Tues: Folders iii - qqq
Wed: Folders rrr - zzz
Thurs: Folders aaa-hhh
Fri: Folders iii - qqq
Sat: Folders rrr - zzz

My question is, can I use wildcards in the backup selections window so I can easily enter what I require to be backed up on what day rather than hard-coding the path name for each of the 300 files.

i.e. For the policy running on a monday could I type something like:

C:\Drawings\Folder_a%
C:\Drawings\Folder_b%

where % is the wildcard.

We have already gone down the route of incremental backups etc and think that this way would be easier for us.

I've had a look in the help file regarding wildcards and all I could find was wildcards regarding files, is this the same case with folders?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon Tindall
4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Stumpr2
Level 6
david!  Shhh... your giving away secret information.

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life... [Terry Pratchett]

Simon_Tindall
Level 2
Thanks for clearing that up.

Shame we're using windows and not unix.

Thanks again

Simon Tindall

Stumpr2
Level 6

Simon Tindall wrote:

Shame we're using windows and not unix.

yes, it is a shame. It's kinda like being handcuffed, blindfolded, and walking barefooted through a maze that is littered with banana peels. But then I may be a little bit biased.