Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM backup failing with 156

Iype
Level 4
Certified

My VM backup is failing with 156.

When i run the VM backup with DNS name the snap fails with the below error

01/13/2012 14:30:50 - Critical bpbrm (pid=16745) from client Clientname.com: FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156
01/13/2012 14:30:50 - Warning bpbrm (pid=16745) from client clientname.com: WRN - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is not frozen
01/13/2012 14:30:50 - Info bpfis (pid=7948) done. status: 156

But when i change the setting to run with the display name its snaps and backup got completed successfully.

Can any one tell me how to fix the VM to run with the DNS name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Iype
Level 4
Certified

When i discovered the VM, there was 2 entry with the same DNS name, which was conflicting.

I deleted the power off'd VM and the VM backup started to work again successfully with the DNS name.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you typing the DNS name in manually or are you letting the Browse for Virtual Machine determine the DNS name.

Create a new policy, set the Snapshot options to DNS name.  Then perform a browse for virtual machine and select the VMs you would like to backup.  This will select the correct DNS name, and the snapshots should work.

If you configured the backups with Display name first and then switch it to DNS name, you must delete the clients from the policy and re-add them as DNS name.

Iype
Level 4
Certified

Still the snap is failing with the DNS name.

Will_Restore
Level 6

However the strategy of using DNS name associated with the IP addresses for virtual machines may not be suitable for certain environments ...

1. When the virtual machine has multiple network interfaces with different DNS names, if the name is not returned from the expected interface, then the virtual machine appears to change unexpectedly at any given time.
2. If ESX patch ESX350-200901401-SG is applied, Virtual Center has been observed to report VM Tools as "not running".  When this occurs, IP addresses may not be provided to vcbvmname.  This can cause NetBackup to fail with "unable to locate VM".
3. In DHCP environments, name resolution may synchronized with IP addresses, causing host names that are "stale" to appear in NetBackup.

To accommodate such environments, NetBackup will provide an additional method to select and backup virtual machines. This method would use the Display name of the virtual machine. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69377

Iype
Level 4
Certified

we are using NBU 7.1.  Is there any update that we can provide to VMware or wintel team to check from their end on why the snap is not happening if we are using the DNS name for backup

Iype
Level 4
Certified

When i discovered the VM, there was 2 entry with the same DNS name, which was conflicting.

I deleted the power off'd VM and the VM backup started to work again successfully with the DNS name.