cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Consolidated backup and NBU 6.0

john_verran
Level 3
Is anyone using VCB to backup their virtual clients? We're having some issues getting the mount commands to work and was wondering if anyone has implemented this.... (misery loves company).

We're able to get the mount command to work when issued directly but are having problems with the netbackup bat files
5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Did you install Integration Module for NetBackup from VMWare site ?

john_verran
Level 3
yes, we have the integration module installed.....

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
If you made some changes to configuration file in module's scripts and created properly netbackup policy - hmmm... maybe there is a problem with size of letters in the path (they are case sensitive)

for example:
backup policy: c:\mnt\server1.domain.com-FullVM

config file: c:\\mnt

Patrick_Delaten
Not applicable
Hi John,

i have the same problem. All is ok manually (vcbmounter,bpbrowse-start/end) but not automatically from the policy.

The VCB server is media server and the Master is an UNIX server.
I have to check if this can be an issue.

Let me know if you have THE solution ;)

Thanks

PatrickMessage was edited by:
padel

vmware-ibc
Not applicable
I am using VCB and Netbackup 5.1 MP6. 
My config is as follows .....ESX 3.0.1 and Virtual Center 2.0.1
Windows 2003 SP2 media server with Veritas NB 5.1 MP6
Latest build of VCB on the Windows 2003 VCB proxy/NB media server
VNIM (Veritas Netbackup Integration Module) installed
Scripts configured

I am getting both Image Level (-FullVM option) and the File level backups to work fine and be called automatically from the policy, so I may be able to give you some pointers on that (as I took pretty decent notes while setting up the VCB proxy server/media server).  It was tricky, there is no doubt about it in getting all the kinks worked out but it now does work automatically (mount the disk for file level, export the disk for image level and creating and applying the snapshot are all working. 

Let me know if you got past your issues yet

MY ISSUE I am seeing is that when I do Image level backups (2GB chunks of the VMdk) they fly (about 60 MBytes / second on the export.....VERY FAST and once the export is done and it starts writing to tape (an STK LTO-2 library) it cruises along at about 20 - 24 mbytes / second, which is plenty acceptable by me.

When I do the file level backup ( e:\mnt\vmnwame.domain.com\letters\  ) where it mounts the vmdk to backup data inside the vmdk, I get, at best, about 4.5MBytes - 5MBytes / second throughput to LTO-2.

I know there will be a difference due to the fact that I am doing individual files vs. 2 GB chunks, but I did not think the breakdown in speed would be from 22MBytes / sec to 4 Mbytes / second.

Has anyone seen this and done anything to improve throughput for the file level backups?