Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare Diff and Cumulative Incrementals are very large

Seth_E
Level 6

Hi all,

I am running 7.6.1.2 on Windows 2008.

I run a full backup of a VM and it backs up 37 Million files and 7.7TB in size. This job took about 60 hours (via SAN).

I than run a Cumulative and it runs a lot faster, backs up 154 thousand files and the job finishes in 3 hours (Using Accelarator) However, the size of the backup is 7.8 TB.

A differential is next and that backs up 25,180 files and only takes about 3 hours to finish. However, the size shows 7.8 TB.

See attached screenshot.

The number of files appears correct, but, why are the sizes of the actual backup so large? When duplicating to tape, Netbackup is duplicating the entire 7+ TB for a differencial (using SLP which backs up to dedupe disk first than tape)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

_MBR_
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

You are using the accelerator so the jobs creates a sort of "synthetic" full backup when only doing an incremental backup. It doesn't take up this disk space cause it uses dedpulication. So for retore purposes you have a  full backup image available. That's why you see the size of the full dataset. (An accelerated backup results in having a full backup available at the costs and speed of an incremental backup)

Hope this clears things up for you.

MBR.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

_MBR_
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

You are using the accelerator so the jobs creates a sort of "synthetic" full backup when only doing an incremental backup. It doesn't take up this disk space cause it uses dedpulication. So for retore purposes you have a  full backup image available. That's why you see the size of the full dataset. (An accelerated backup results in having a full backup available at the costs and speed of an incremental backup)

Hope this clears things up for you.

MBR.