cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware question....

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
   Is there a VMware license that can be purchased for NBU 5.1?

Joe Despres
3 REPLIES 3

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Joe,

Long time no "see". As I understand it, from the Auburn mail group, you don't need a specific license for VMware only for each different OS that is running. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
just configure you client as a normal backup client and you are done.

Surya_2
Level 4
Certified
Joe,

I'll agree with  omar comments, we dont require any license.

We have three options apart from VCB. 

1. Shutdown VM >> backup VMDK >> restart VM (recommended) : It just like  COLD backup of the virtual machines Not guaranteed to be done in non-core hours, therefore, a virtual server could be down during working hours, this would be unacceptable.

2. Shutdown VM >> create snapshot >> restart VM >> backup VMDK :This would involve taking a snapshot, and then backing up the virtual servers. But NTPS or the UNIX team should create a snapshot for this so that we can back it up. Snapshots can be scheduled to take place automatically at non-core times and these can be backed up at any time.

3. Create snapshot>> backup VMDK (Not support by NetBackup) :

Alternately, the NTPS team or the UNIX team can backup the VMWARE files onto the disk on the Windows base server, and we can back these files to tape.

An even better solution would be to use the VMware Consolidation Backup (VCB).  Well it is supported currently within Netbackup .  Customer should be satisfied with this solution.

Surya, Backup Engineer