cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VNX Virtual Data Mover backups with NetBackup

fortec
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I need to configure Symantec NetBackup to back up a virtual data mover on a VNX 5200.  The VNX has a single Virtual Data Mover (VDM). Lets call it fs01. It is hosted on data mover server_2. fs01 has one interface with IP address of 192.168.22.22. It also has a share called test created on the vdm. The physical data mover does not have any other interfaces associated with it.

When I run the following command I get the output:

server_mount server_2
server_2:
root_fs_2 on / uxfs,perm,rw
root_fs_common on /.etc_common uxfs,perm,ro
root_fs_vdm_vdm_fs1 on /root_vdm_3/.etc uxfs,perm,rw
fs_fs01_test on /root_vdm_3/fs_fs01 uxfs,perm,rw

The ndmp user has already been created on the server_2 data mover using the server_user server_2 -add -password ndmp command.

Most of the process in the configuration guides make sense, but one thing I am NOT clear on is when configuring the backup policy, do I specify the physical data mover (server_2) or the virtual data mover (fs01) as the NDMP host in NetBackup? And if I specify server_2 in NetBackup, do I use the interface associated with the VDM fs01 (i.e. add it to etc/hosts file) or do I need another interface associated with the physical data mover?

Also, if I specify server_2, if the vdm fails over to server_3 data mover, what has to be done to ensure backups will continue?

Any assistance will be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You'll need to add a name that resolves to that IP address into NetBackup under credentials, ndmp hosts.

This is the name you will be using in the policy.  The name does not matter as much as being recognizeable as well as needing resolution to the IP address of the VDM. In your case there is only one IP address.  NetBackup is not cluster aware in regards to NDMP.  If your volume moves VDMs and that has access from another IP, the backup would most likely fail. In this sense, you can simple adjust the host file to take care of that transition.

The ndmp guide below does talk about adding credentials as well as setting up policies.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6 for NDMP Administrator's Guide

Article:DOC6456  |  Created: 2013-04-30  |  Updated: 2013-09-29  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6456

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You'll need to add a name that resolves to that IP address into NetBackup under credentials, ndmp hosts.

This is the name you will be using in the policy.  The name does not matter as much as being recognizeable as well as needing resolution to the IP address of the VDM. In your case there is only one IP address.  NetBackup is not cluster aware in regards to NDMP.  If your volume moves VDMs and that has access from another IP, the backup would most likely fail. In this sense, you can simple adjust the host file to take care of that transition.

The ndmp guide below does talk about adding credentials as well as setting up policies.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6 for NDMP Administrator's Guide

Article:DOC6456  |  Created: 2013-04-30  |  Updated: 2013-09-29  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6456