cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Netbackup Slow transfer Incremental Backups

joaquin386
Level 3

Hi People,

I have a problem on the Netbackup transfer speed. I have the interface configure to 100/Full and I have install the Netbackup in 30 machines but when the transfer is being done only 2 of them reach 6 MB/s when doing Full Backup, on the other hand Incremental backup reach 50Kb/s (what the hell!!!). What could I do to reach in the incremental backup the speed of Full backup.

Thanks

Joaquin

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

If incrementals are taking so long. My guess could be a lot of small files.

Need to know versions running please.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A 100MB NIC can do no more that 12MB/sec in best case scenario. More like 7-8MB in the real world. Time to upgrade the NIC if you'e master/media server is equipped with 100Mb NIC with 30+ clients.

Check the speed/duplex setting on the switch side as well, especially when using fixed speed and not auto negotiation.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

The problem with the performance is that the client is simply taking too long to figure out what files to give you.  If you have a very low change rate, you'll take more time "walking the file system" than transferring data.

Consider putting your incrementals to a DSSU and then de-staging from there.  That will free up your tape drives until they've got more work to do.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Run a full on the host itself using bpbkar32 writing C: to nul...(search for how to ) and then it'll give you an idea as to how fast the data can be read from disk. Compare with the observed network speed to highlight the bottleneck. 

What the others say for incrs and lots of files.

Jim

joaquin386
Level 3

Thanks a LOT guys. The problem is not solved yet but you have give me a lot of ideas in a good direction.

I will keep you inform on the results and the solution, cause I have to solve these issue.

The first thing I will do is an ftp transfer to see what can be the speed of the transfer then look for stuff you have recommend me to do.