cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmotion and netbackup 7.0.1

Amaan
Level 6
Hi, i need urgent help as i need to find answer to this question. We have netbackup 7.0.1 windows 2008 master and windows 2003 media server with same nbu version. ESX 4.x and vcenter (do not know version) Storage is EMC My questions: 1. When netbackup starts backup where snapshot will be created? Is it in the same datastore where client is located? 2. During moving (migrating) server using vmotion how netbackup handles backup in 7.0.1? 3. Is there any known issue for vm backups using vStorage API? Will netbackup leave any snapshots after backups if backp is interrupted or failes? ( VCB used to do that) 4. Any docs, best practices, articles related to VMWare backup using netbackup will be helful if you share the links. Thanks, Amaan.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't find anything on 7.0.x BUT

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/NetBackup_for_VMware_GBB_2.0_0.pdf

This is a white paper on 6.5.x and it states that it is DRS and vmotion aware.

So between netbackup versions I can nearly presume they didnt drop support for it.

Plus it is the not symantec that provides these capabilities its VMware through the vstorage API 

I would only also suggest, if you haven't, read the 7.0.1 NetBackup Guide for VMware most of your queries should be in there.

But plan to at least update to 7.1 if VIP feature appears a compelling reason, for finer and controlled selection of your vsphere farm. Or make the jump to 7.5 (note 7.6 is just round corner, and it has even more rich features for backing and restoring VM's) 

Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0.1 for VMware Guide

NetBackup 7.6 gets tight with VMware

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Vmware will create the snapshot delta files in the "Virtual Machine Working Location" This is normally where your Vm config file also resides ie the .vmx file.
This is common to have spread amongst datastores of the VMDK's for your VM's if have storage constraints or use SDRS Clusters.
- if you want to know where that is then right click VM in vsphere client and Edit Settings click Options. It is shown here.

2. Vmotion of a VM while a backup takes place. Supported. See white paper below

• VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) and VMware vMotion™ aware

3. vstorage api is much improved over VCB (move to using it ASAP)

Netbackup has options to delete previous snapshots. and cleanup better than VCB ever did

4. NetBackup 7.1 for VMware Best Practices White paper from Symantec.

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-netbackup_best_practices_WP_21195951...

EDIT: On 7.0.1 - I would recommend upgrading to 7.1 and then 7.1.0.4 as many VMware bugs also fixed.

If this helps or answers your question mark as solution or vote up. Thanks

Amaan
Level 6

Hi Stuart,

Do you have answers for 7.0.1 it is mentioned that it supports in 7.1. because they came with new type of policy and new features called vip. but we are using 7.0.1

Thanks,

Amaan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't find anything on 7.0.x BUT

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/NetBackup_for_VMware_GBB_2.0_0.pdf

This is a white paper on 6.5.x and it states that it is DRS and vmotion aware.

So between netbackup versions I can nearly presume they didnt drop support for it.

Plus it is the not symantec that provides these capabilities its VMware through the vstorage API 

I would only also suggest, if you haven't, read the 7.0.1 NetBackup Guide for VMware most of your queries should be in there.

But plan to at least update to 7.1 if VIP feature appears a compelling reason, for finer and controlled selection of your vsphere farm. Or make the jump to 7.5 (note 7.6 is just round corner, and it has even more rich features for backing and restoring VM's) 

Symantec NetBackup (tm) 7.0.1 for VMware Guide

NetBackup 7.6 gets tight with VMware