Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware Backup in Netbackup

Caushiph_Unvar
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I am using NBU 7.5 and wanted to protect Vmware environment but all my esx/esxi are short of space on datastore.How can we take backup of a Vmware ESX/ESXi if datastore doesnot contain space for VMware API snapshot and we are not allowed to install clients inside vm? Also ESX/ESXi are silos i.e. not being managed by Vcenter.  is there any way to buffer the snapshot from ESX/ESXi/Vcenter to backup host while the Snapshot creation process??

any suggestion?

-Regards,

Caushiph

4 REPLIES 4

Mick_Scott
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont believe there is currently.

have a look at the following and vote for it if you think it would solve your problems.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/way-redirect-netbackup-vmdk-snapshots-different-datast...

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

maybe not everything is lost you can try to optimize your snapshots reducing what you will need, there are many options here, 

Exclude deleted blocks and swapping and paging files

Exclude those disk you think you dont need, like boot disks or even OS (C:) disks and care about the drives with data.

By default NBU will delete the snapshot once is done

Limit your policy to run only 1 or 2 backups at the same time so you dont overflow the array with snapshots and probably you should be able to handle a couple of VM's snaps

Use the best transport mode you can so you reduce the backup time this will help to release the snapshots you created faster so you can keep those 2 snaps delivering.

There other options you can look like the New Netbackup Replicator, maybe you can do this at Array Level, will not be the best because you will only have VMDK's but at least is something, no so sure will work the best because of your space issue but is an option.

Let us know if this helps.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The Vstorage API is made by VMware.  When NBU initiates a snapshot, it's communicating to vCenter to make the snap.  It's up to VMware and the VMFS/NFS volumes to have enough space.  NBU can't work any magic around a VMware limitation.

Why not grow the volume with extents?  That is possible with 5 and I'm sure 4.1

Anonymous
Not applicable

The VMware solution to implement is Storage DRS.

e.g. We had a VM in snapshot mode, but unknown to us a DBA was loading data into database tables. The snapshot grew and grew - until we realized and stopped him. Storage DRS kicked in and started to move VMDK's off that datastore to cater for the need for the additional space.

Or alternatively Storage Vmotion ONLY the VM Configuration file (.VMX) file(s) of your VM's to a different datastore. The snapshot is created alongside the location of the VMX file.

But then again VMware is all about having plenty disk so extending the datastore is your first option.