cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware Backup using nbd failure

gustav
Level 5

Hello I hope someone can help.

The backup environment (Netbackup 7)  has an off host proxy with access to a virtual centre. I have zoned in all drives from the esx on the virtual centre to the off host proxy and can back all these VMs up with no problem.

Now what has happened is that two new esx have been added into the Virtual center but they are on a seperate SAN which has no access to the off host proxy so SAN transport is not possible as a backup method.

So I created new policy and browsed the VMs and added to the policy and set the transport type to nbd. When I run a backup job the first part of the job executes (snapshot is taken) but when the job streams to tape it fails with the error (23) error opening snapshot disk using given transport method.

I have host file entries for esx, failing vms and Virtual centre.

Are these backups possible with this hardware configuration?

Rgds

4 REPLIES 4

thesanman
Level 6

Sounds ok to me; I have a similar mix of attached ESXservers, all manager by vSphere.  Some use offhost iSCSI (SAN) transport, some use direct NBD.

I found you need to ensure your Master and Media servers can access the target ESXserver via IP; also make sure you have a ESX service console on that port.  Then as you say; make sure your transport is set to nbd.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

I had the same problem with NBD, so i disabled the Quiesce (work around) in NBU policy and tried a backup it worked fine.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

First of if you want to keep them all in one policy you could just say "try all types", which means we will try the san first and if that fails nbu will try nbd.

Next in the nbd policy right now disable "exclude" and "quiesce".

=> still fails?

Setup vxms logging and re-run the backup job.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Depending on what version of nbu/vc you are running, you could try to disable app level quiescing. At that point we still do an OS level quiescing.